Sign in to follow this  
kbar

Twitter R20 or R21 poll

I am running a highly scientific poll over on twitter if anyone here would like to vote on it. I am using it to get a feel for what existing customers are likely to do in regards to staying with R20 or moving to R21 and beyond. Be great to get all your input on this. Thanks.

I don't have a twitter and can't vote or see results, but please post what the results are here.

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

I don't have a twitter and can't vote or see results, but please post what the results are here.

Oh that's a shame. I thought everyone would be able to at least see the results but it appears not. As of now there are 689 votes and its pretty much 50/50 for those people staying with R20 vs those moving onto R21. Will update you again in 2 days when the poll is finished.

Lots of great C4D artists on twitter. Worth joining just to follow what they are up to.

Nice initiative.

The results should indeed be interesting for any plugin dev to know where to focus on.

I am not on twitter either, nor facebook, nor any other social media. I'd rather spend my time creating new features.

Vote given. Nice initiative, hopefully it will go serious. It would be interesting to know, would devs who visits C4D Cafe get together and try to make something bigger for C4D in terms of plugins. 

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

• Topic Author
  • 12 hours ago, Igor said:

Vote given. Nice initiative, hopefully it will go serious. It would be interesting to know, would devs who visits C4D Cafe get together and try to make something bigger for C4D in terms of plugins. 

That would depend on the terms and conditions of using C4D Cafe. Up till now the Cafe has frowned upon developers who talk about their products, to the point that posts even got deleted due to perceived free advertisement of their work. But if that policy changes then C4D Cafe could become a great place for developers to come, share ideas, share work on their plugins and get feedback from artists on their work. I think the C4D Cafe would be a much better place for it than the official MAXON plugincafe, since that is largely a support forum now and has lost its feeling of fun and community. Be warned though, if you do allow us to start writing about what we do here then you might start to get a flood of topics and threads. 

9 hours ago, kbar said:

...Up till now the Cafe has frowned upon developers who talk about their products, to the point that posts even got deleted due to perceived free advertisement of their work...

Sorry to disagree, but that has not been my experience so far. That policy is mentioned in the terms over at CGTalk, but for as far as I recall it hasn't been the case over here.

• Topic Author
  • 36 minutes ago, C4DS said:

Sorry to disagree, but that has not been my experience so far. That policy is mentioned in the terms over at CGTalk, but for as far as I recall it hasn't been the case over here.

It was 100% the case a couple of years ago. Which is why I moved my conversations to twitter. I thought perhaps since you were selling your plugin via the cafe that you might have come to an agreement. Or perhaps things have changed now. Will wait and see what the official response is from the guys. No hard feelings or anything, I fully understood the reasons behind the ban. If  it’s changed then great, if not then that’s ok too. :-)

Yes we had something like that for the folks who would just come in and JUST advertise and they dont give nothing in return, not even posting to help others. We were allowing advertising of only free stuff thats it. If something like this would be interesting for you guys. Then we would defintely support it as much as we can with the setup we have now as we decided to give all the attention to those who deserve it. Just like you guys giving your time in developing plugins and expecting something in return its the same for us, becasue running forums have a cost and we defintely dont earn money here and we have a little support from members...etc.

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

• Topic Author
  • On 8/14/2019 at 8:28 PM, Igor said:

It would be interesting to know, would devs who visits C4D Cafe get together and try to make something bigger for C4D in terms of plugins. 

I didn't address your actual question here... yes this is entirely possible. If the community wants to get behind the developers to create something bigger then it can definitely be done. I would be happy to take lead on the projects, get a few developers together and create plugins. 

We could run this through Patreon, which I have been looking at for myself as a way of funding development. It really isn't that difficult. On the cafe we have ~30k users? Imagine if every user donated $50. That would be 1.5 million. The Cafe could even take 10% (150k) of that to fund someone full time for Cafe work and pay for all your servers. That then leaves 1.35 million which could fund 5 or 6 people for just over 2 years (for the finished product, there will obviously be alphas and betas along the way). That would be a team of possibly 3 developers, documentation writer, tutorial creator and UX designer/artist. Then you still have all the business &  accounting side of it as well.

It just needs a project that people want and advertising to get people behind it. It's totally possible. Cost of a dinner out for some plugins?

This is what I will doing on my own Patreon site. So if users get behind it and if the cafe allows discussions about development then yes, 100% something could be done. If people want painting, uvs, fluids, computational geometry, or anything else, then just feel free to let me know.

For my fluids plugin that could be made into a serious tool with as little as 10,000 people donating $10 each. That's one years worth of development time right there. Or via Patreon with 1000 patrons paying $10 per month etc... it just comes down to the numbers, faith in the developers and the patience and support from the artists.

• Topic Author
  • Results of the poll are now in. You can see them at the top of this post. Still pretty much a 50/50 split between those who will stick with R20 and those who will go to R21 perpetual or subscription. 754 is not a large number of voters, but still more than I have ever gotten from any other poll I have run. Thanks to all that voted!

That is interesting.  Right away MAXON is losing 34% that were completely up to date.  That is huge.  Over the last few years they lost 64%.  It sounds about what I would expect.  Even though it's not the biggest survey I'd say it's percentages are pretty accurate.  It's all pointing to the death of the program.