Bolos

IK-Spline tongue moving sideways

I'm creating a new topic since it looks like nobody saw the last post.

I have some trouble with the finishing touches of my lizard animation.

Here is a gif of the tongue moving sideways as the head is wobbling instead of staying in position.

As soon as I disable the IK-Spline tag on the Tongue_1 bone, the problem disappears. I tried to play with the settings but didn't found any solution.

Side quest I managed to get my belly inflate/deflate to breathe with the hand resting on top of it. But there's still some lag in the hand following the belly. I had a look at the documentation and it says that can happen.

So can I still get rid of it (I was thinking there could be some animation baking solution) or am I stuck with it ?

Here is the file.

Thanks in advance.

• Topic Author
  • @adambelis Thanks for the insight !

I was actually looking at that already and tried a few combinations. I think I found a way to reduce latency but still seem a bit off.

Anyway I found some tutorials about that so I guess I'll find the answer.

No idea for the tongue shifting though ? 

• Topic Author
  • I watched a tutorial and the doc again and tried to follow the rules but no luck.

Shouldn't I get rid of the lag when using a priority of 1 on the PSR morph constraint and of 2  on the wrist controller ?

I can't get less latency than in this gif (with a hand problem tho) : https://gyazo.com/931379ddc1f590c97f108e894210a12e

4 hours ago, Bolos said:

I can't get less latency than in this gif (with a hand problem tho)

Hi, i had a look at the hand sliding on the belly. This is coming from the hip key-frame  animations. if you delete the hip key frames this stops. What you could try is adding the hip to the wrist constraint tag and adjusting the percentage to 50% each.

• Topic Author
  • Ah, I didn't thought about that. I actually thought that since I'm using global P & R, it should take the belly's parents into account.

Does that mean my rig should be done differently/efficiently (not having head to hips children of another) ?

Cause I added the hips to the wrist constraint tag and fiddled a bit with the settings but didn't saw any latency improvement.

Killing the weird sexy pelvis movement from the hips fix this, yes, but I really like this weird sexy pelvis move, lol.

It also sounds painful in case I'd want my hand to be constrained to the head. If I understand well, I'd need every controller from hips to head onto the hand controller constraint ?

6 hours ago, Bolos said:

Does that mean my rig should be done differently/efficiently (not having head to hips children of another) ?

The rig parenting is fine, i would add another spine joint between the hip and the belly/torso.

• Topic Author
  • OK, thanks for the insights ! @digitvisions

Sorry to ping you @everfresh but would you like to take a look at the file for my tongue shifting problem ? Thanks in advance! 

@Bolos no problem...

the way you had set it up the parenting and the constraints are fighting each other. to fix it you have several options:

- delete that psr constraint on your tongue controllers null and just put the null as a child of the jaw.

- disable the psr constraint and pull the tongue controller null out of the hierarchy, and put it below the joints null (not as a child, just below), then make a parent constraint instead, leave it at expression: 0 ... set the tongue spline ik to expression: 1

regarding the hand on the belly: the problem here is that you have the hand resting at an area that shares influences from chest and hip (called belly in your case), and you can't expect the hand to constrain perfectly to the surface if you parent it just to one of those.

the IMO best way around it would be to make one more joint between the hip and the chest like digitvisions suggested. weight the loops in the area where the hand lies 100% to that joint and parent constrain the hand to that joint then instead.

another way would be to clamp constrain a null to the surface of the belly and constrain the hand then to that null. the clamp constraint you'd have to set to generators, because it has to execute after the skin deformer.

hope that helps...

• Topic Author
  • Thanks @everfresh!

I'll try that and adding another spine bone.

However, I guess this mean I'll have to redo all the weighting and post morphs ?

7 hours ago, Bolos said:

Thanks @everfresh!

I'll try that and adding another spine bone.

However, I guess this mean I'll have to redo all the weighting and post morphs ?

no, you don't  have to redo all the weighting, you just have to paint some weights for that newly created joint so it can serve its purpose. also the pose morphs will stay intact, those only mess up if you change the point count on your mesh.

• Topic Author
  • @everfresh For info I just had to disable the psr and add a parent one on the tongue null constraint and the tongue is now working as expected! Didn't even had to get it out of my controllers. The priority was set to expression 2 though, that might be the reason why ?