Sign in to follow this  
Bolos

IK-Spline tongue moving sideways

• Topic Author
  • Ahah yes. I think I managed to get it right. Thanks a lot @everfresh!

• Topic Author
  • Hey @everfresh, I'm getting real close to the final look I want but still have a few problems that I have a hard time to resolve.

The main one is that there's some latency/updating issues between the viewport and render.

I'm trying to sync the tapping feet to the beat but there's some update thing going on in the viewport.

If I move the green playhead it looks like the render, but when I release it, there's a small fix going on to match the actual keyframed positions. If I use the backward/foreward arrows instead, the small fix is only happening when I select an element in the object manager.

• What I mean is that the render doesn't seem to use the real keyframes but what I get before those little "updates". So I can't precisely pose my feet with this going on. Do you know this issue and how to handle it ?

• In the Redshift render (posted here https://couill.art/project/can-t-hide-lovethe eyes seem to be wobbly and I suspect there's again priority issues. But when I make a hardware render with polygon lines visible, I don't see any shifting. So I'm kinda bamboozled.

• I also tried to do the "parenting null trick" to have the toes of the first lizard to follow its tail but I guess I have a priority problem too here.

• I finally noticed I wasn't quite right with maintaining the heels in position, I played with the PSR/parent constraint on the heel bone and it's priorities but didn't found the perfect solution yet. It also looks like the tibia is changing height instead of moving the knee. So if you have some time to look at this too, that'd be awesome.

I uploaded an update of my lizards (with assets) here if you want to have a look https://we.tl/t-EY8cxB0D92

Thanks in advance !

PS Man, I know I already owe you a lot, if there's anything I can do for you, please ask.

@Bolos i wish i was better at priorities, but it always takes a lot of tinkering for me too to get it right. i will take a look, but i can't promise anything, gonna have to set myself a time limit :D

btw, is that song george duke? sounds totally like a george duke tune, have a lot of his records in my shelf...

regarding the feet: even in the viewport stuff is lagging (a lot) when you move the controllers. you set some of the tags to generators, others to animation. set all the tags from the heel downwards to expression:2, now it's tight in the VP. usually if it's tight in the viewport and you don't get any refresh issues when hitting undo it's also gonna be fine in the render.

also try setting the parent constraint for the eyes to 2 instead of 1, since the spring constraint on the head is set to 1 that might fix it. i don't see much difference with or without the spring constraint, maybe just get rid of it? you can as well just animate the delay you get from it by offsetting the head keyframes one frame...

btw, the tail also lags, set the ik for the tail to expressions as well.

to be frank it's always somewhat of a nightmare to figure out another persons rig, and you've done quite a lot of things there i would do differently. 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks again for all the tips @everfresh, I'll follow those and give you some peace, ahah. The song is "Can't Hide Love" from Earth, Wind & Fire. I don't know much about George Duke but "Shine On" is a favourite (might not be his most representative work from the few others I know).

37 minutes ago, Bolos said:

Thanks again for all the tips @everfresh, I'll follow those and give you some peace, ahah. The song is "Can't Hide Love" from Earth, Wind & Fire. I don't know much about George Duke but "Shine On" is a favourite (might not be his most representative work from the few others I know).

ah, yes, earth wind and fire... would have been my second guess :D i knew i've heard it before. 

i quite like those george duke albums (and i think you will too): 

• Topic Author
  • @everfresh wasn't expecting to learn more about George Duke around here, ahah. Thanks for the links. Master Of The Game is a great album! I heard "I Want You For Myself" a few times before, really love this song. Didn't know it was him. I also heard about the awesome Daft Punk sample but didn't know it was coming from here.

There's also a huge Funkadelic vibe at times :)

A Brazilian Love Affair is cool too, there's awesome parts but the more "free jazz/improvised" parts are a little straining to me. That's what kinda set me off on the few albums I listened before.

And I love "Funkin' for the Thrill", that's the typical funk sound I love.

He also has some very cool album covers. Love this one

R-3117389-1316593602.jpeg.thumb.jpg.4bc36c8328c709768ca86ae5aa6aac70.jpg

Concerning the rig, that's hard to stay motivated. It feels like each time I make a step forward, I make two backwards. *crying face emoji*

31 minutes ago, Bolos said:

@everfresh wasn't expecting to learn more about George Duke around here, ahah. Thanks for the links. Master Of The Game is a great album! I heard "I Want You For Myself" a few times before, really love this song. Didn't know it was him. I also heard about the awesome Daft Punk sample but didn't know it was coming from here.

There's also a huge Funkadelic vibe at times :)

A Brazilian Love Affair is cool too, there's awesome parts but the more "free jazz/improvised" parts are a little straining to me. That's what kinda set me off on the few albums I listened before.

And I love "Funkin' for the Thrill", that's the typical funk sound I love.

He also has some very cool album covers. Love this one

R-3117389-1316593602.jpeg.thumb.jpg.4bc36c8328c709768ca86ae5aa6aac70.jpg

Concerning the rig, that's hard to stay motivated. It feels like each time I make a step forward, I make two backwards. *crying face emoji*

looks like it was made with the 1976 version of c4d :D 

regarding the rig: yeah i feel you. been there. took me literally days to sort the priorities of my face rig out. for the body it shouldn’t be that much of a struggle though since there are not that many dependencies to sort out. sometimes it‘s good to put it aside for a couple of days and look at it again with some fresh eyes.