Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

VRAY very slow

I have received a project from another agency built in R18 which uses VRAY for C4D. 

I am using the most up to date download which is.  'vray_adv_37003_cinema4d_mavericks_x64' This is a 30 day trial, and we hope to buy it. 

I have tried to contact the support, but have not heard for a couple of days. I'm not sure if they help demo users.

I have finished the editing almost but expect a few tweaks.

The 2 main problems are:

1. When opening the project it won't open in R20 on my desktop without freezing, it's a (Mac Pro (late 2013) Mac OS High Sierria) Processor 3.5GHZ 6-Core Intel Xeon E5. 32 GB 1866 DDR3. It will open in R20 on my mac book laptop. So There could be some sort of obsolete hardware issue.

But it will open on R19 on my desktop.

2. The scene is terribly slow to render. Taking 2 days on one machine. 

I have increased from 0.01 to 0.8 on the tolerance on in the AA settings on bucket sampling which is helping but it has a lot more noise. I have turned off 'Indirect illumination' as it doesn't seem to me doing much. 

I would like to get it working on R20 as all our machines 'Team render' clients are R20. And I could potentially use Team render.

If there is something very obvious which can speed the render up I would be very grateful.

Best regards

Jools

I am also on a MacPro 2013. Vray, same version as you have, opens up in R20 with me. In R19 as well. I do have the issue of slow rendering though especially when I use the RT. Picture viewer is much faster for test renders. You can use that or the native VDB.  With me the interactive RT window doesn't do updates too well anyhow so you could just as well use the VDB /picture viewer. The problem for Mac users is that we do not have these Nvidia Cuda cards that almost all renderers use. (PS. I hardly ever use Vray, but Corona or Arnold instead. They may not have as many gorgeous features, but both are very fast for CPU renders)

It's tough to say what the problem could be. There's no telling what settings have been tweaked by the original artist. You can try creating a new render setting to get VRay to its default state. The default settings are supposed to be adequate for most situations, for whatever that is worth in this case. See what that does for you first. Then compare to the original settings to help narrow down the differences to suss out the culprit.

That said, it may not be a render settings issue. It could also be how the materials and lighting are set up, and/or how the scene is built.

Is this an animation or still rendering?

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the replies. I have only just noticed.:ohmy:

20 hours ago, liseng said:

I am also on a MacPro 2013. Vray, same version as you have, opens up in R20 with me. In R19 as well. I do have the issue of slow rendering though especially when I use the RT. Picture viewer is much faster for test renders. You can use that or the native VDB.  With me the interactive RT window doesn't do updates too well anyhow so you could just as well use the VDB /picture viewer. The problem for Mac users is that we do not have these Nvidia Cuda cards that almost all renderers use. (PS. I hardly ever use Vray, but Corona or Arnold instead. They may not have as many gorgeous features, but both are very fast for CPU renders)

Are you on Mojave OS out of interest?

11 hours ago, Vizn said:

It's tough to say what the problem could be. There's no telling what settings have been tweaked by the original artist. You can try creating a new render setting to get VRay to its default state. The default settings are supposed to be adequate for most situations, for whatever that is worth in this case. See what that does for you first. Then compare to the original settings to help narrow down the differences to suss out the culprit.

That said, it may not be a render settings issue. It could also be how the materials and lighting are set up, and/or how the scene is built.

Is this an animation or still rendering?

No it is not rendering.  I tried a new render setting by getting a blank scene. Saving a new VRAY bridge. Copying and pasting into current scene as a render setting. Tried both bucket and progressive. It looks like my machine is too slow. 

I have started to learn a few things about the rendering speeds.  It seems the max subdivisions is the most effective speed setting. 32 being ultra smooth around edges and 1 being block like. I can get a frame to render at 30 seconds, but it looks very rough. The creator of the scene had their on 32 max. Also I raised the threshold to 0.05 from 0.01.  AA is generally the biggest killer.

There is also the DMC sample settings which look like they are linked to the AA.  I'm not sure how to use this I must admit.

I have been looking at some online render farms which 'can supposedly' render 40 machines on one scene. There was a Russian one (Anima) which can do Vray R20.  Seem like friendly support to. 

The Vray support has taken about 4 days to reply.

Can you share the render settings via screenshots? And maybe an example of what the scene is composed of?

• Topic Author
  • On 8/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, Vizn said:

Can you share the render settings via screenshots? And maybe an example of what the scene is composed of?

Of course.  

I'm not sure if I'm aloud to post work due to ND arrangements but all I can say is that it would be easy stuff to render with the standard/physical renderer  in C4D. Its all basic shapes in terms of geometry, nothing really advanced. You could argue that the subdivision surface that a lot of shapes use is quite high being Sub edit 5 and Sub div 5. I tried dialling those down and I don't think it helped much.  The vray lights look pretty default.  Hope that helps? 

Thank you 

Best regards Jools

render_settings_grabs.zip

Yeah, still pretty difficult to figure out the rendering issues without any idea how the scene is composed (lights, materials, environment, etc). The settings you shared don't look out of whack on their own, but again, the scene composition would inform this a lot more. 

The AA (primary) sampler is for figuring out the shapes (edges) and visual details (textures/maps, DOF, motion blur), while the DMC sampler is for solving secondary characteristics (lights, soft shadows, gi) and materiality (reflection/refraction).

This is a good tutorial on optimizing a VRay scene that goes in depth about the samplers. It's old, but the concepts are still relevant: https://www.cggallery.com/tutorials/vray_optimization/

Nothing out of the ordinary in the scene you shared to me privately.  I was seeing render speed of ~22 seconds per frame on a 2017 iMac Pro, which would be ~28.6 hours for all frames.

First, have you updated R20 to the latest, R20.059? Your profile shows R20.026.

Can you open the version with no textures on the Mac Pro without freezing? If so, it might be the textures causing the freeze. All textures are loaded into memory when a file is opened, so check if there are several large Photoshop textures being used, or 4K/8K textures saved as PNG, for example. Other than this, I don't know why it would freeze.

I would recommend outsourcing to a render farm. The main reason being that I don't think VRay 3.7 will work with Teamrender the way you want since I believe it only comes with 1 standalone node.

• Topic Author
  • On 8/20/2019 at 6:34 PM, Vizn said:

Nothing out of the ordinary in the scene you shared to me privately.  I was seeing render speed of ~22 seconds per frame on a 2017 iMac Pro, which would be ~28.6 hours for all frames.

First, have you updated R20 to the latest, R20.059? Your profile shows R20.026.

Can you open the version with no textures on the Mac Pro without freezing? If so, it might be the textures causing the freeze. All textures are loaded into memory when a file is opened, so check if there are several large Photoshop textures being used, or 4K/8K textures saved as PNG, for example. Other than this, I don't know why it would freeze.

I would recommend outsourcing to a render farm. The main reason being that I don't think VRay 3.7 will work with Teamrender the way you want since I believe it only comes with 1 standalone node.

Thank you for the reply I will try what you suggest.  It's funny because I used to get a notification when someone replies.  So that is why it took a long time to respond. Here is a crash report. if anyone know what it means? Is there a better crash report that C4D does?

Hmmm.. sounds like it is quite hard render to do anyway 28 hours!  Btw I was only rendering a section. About 1100 to  2130.  About half of the timeline.

EDIT: upgraded C4D to the latest. Still Hangs, I just tried opening the file without textures.

crash_report.rtf

On 8/15/2019 at 11:01 AM, liseng said:

I am on High Sierra. Not on Mojave. Very late reply. Sorry about that!

• Topic Author
  • On 8/29/2019 at 1:44 AM, liseng said:

I am on High Sierra. Not on Mojave. Very late reply. Sorry about that!

Thanks for your reply anyway. Yes same version as myself.   So the problem is my end.

• Topic Author
  • Interesting error here in R20

double.png

EDIT: I think I have fixed the problem. 

R20 seems to have changed its plugin system. So you now access plugins by creating your own folder in the preferences. I have turned this off and now the plugin isn't crashing and there is only one VRAY under the menu. I'm a bit confused as to why it is still working without the plugin clicked on in the preferences.  Now working and opening in R20.