• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
SwoopNebula

Patches In/outside of model.

So for a while i've been trying to model in cinema 4d, but every time I feel like i'm off to a good start I start noticing these patchy spots on the mesh which later show up distorted inside mixamo. When I add the symmetry object the side that is cloned is fine, but the side I modeled is all patchy. You all have any idea what''s going on, it's annoying the hell out of me. 

If I do the symmetry and delete the side I modeled and redo symmetry I don't get the problem but I don't want to have to compromise every time for something thats just a lack of knowledge and understanding.

body2.c4d

At the very minimum for any modelling questions we need to see the lines, but in this case we do need the whole model as well.

CBR

Moved to correct section (SDS-Poly modelling).

OK, now we can see that this is a phong tag problem - because of the harsh angles in your mesh, there are some angles greater than the 80 degrees you have set in the Phong Tag, so without SDS it will display a sharp line wherever that is the case.

You can fix this either by turning up that angle until the sharp lines go away, or you can fix your model so it is less square and angular (probably preferable) by ironing the mesh in Poly mode.

Also you have an unnecessary double edge loop near the center of your model caused by your symmetry not being setup correctly. The edge loop at the Centreline should have an X scale of 0 and be at position X=0, both of which you can sort out in the Coordinates manager...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thank you so much man!

What do you mean by "Ironing the mesh"?

I mean selecting all polys and using the Iron tool to relax it all a bit...

Iron.thumb.gif.49744dfc4a8bffb76e311fae8f85348f.gif

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I cleaned it up a bit and even then I still see the spots there isn't a difference from when I started. 

• Topic Author
  • I brought the phone tag up and ironed it but I still see them. 😞 

I am not seeing them on your model in my version...

But I have found an additional problem on the back side. Holes in the mesh caused by extra edges up the front that have nowhere to go when they reach the back of the shoulders.

image.thumb.png.d58f15759da35718a45d7027147dc360.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I was still working through the model but I got discouraged once I saw the patching, I'll learn how to fix that in due time but the patching is something that I just can't get around 

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 5.44.14 PM.png

body4.c4d