• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Tims

soft body dynamics only in xz axis

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to restrict a soft body simulation to the X & Z axis? Or even better to the surface of an object (like the clamp constrain but for points and not for objects)? 

I tried connector and a clamp constrain without success. 

Many thanks,

Tim

restrict.jpg

Please update your profile to the version you are actually using...

You can use 2 (hidden from camera) box colliders or even Floor Objects on its Y+ and Y- to crudely but effectively hem in its movement ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks a lot CBR! I would have preferred to clamp it directly and not use colliders since the geometry is going to be very high dense (500k polygons) in the end and this would lead to long simulation times. Nonetheless I think you are right there is no other way than colliders.

Thanks,

Tim

p.s. Sorry, I updated the profile.

Yep, not very elegant is it, but I am not immediately seeing any other way... I thought of using 2 equally sized and powered wind forces either side of it, which might give a different 'quality' of Y constraint, but don't think we can do it with clamps...

Cheers for updating profile...

CBR

Connectors can be used as forces that effect dynamics.  Try adding a box connector and restrict it on the Y axis, I think in the upper limit.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Rectro said:

Connectors can be used as forces that effect dynamics.  Try adding a box connector and restrict it on the Y axis, I think in the upper limit.

Dan

Yes, I tried this as well, but no luck. For my understanding connectors should work (and they work for rigid bodys in my tests) but I can't get them work for points just for objects. Maybe I'm missing something... Please see attached scene.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Tim

soft_01-03.c4d

Sorry Tim, I didnt have time to do a full investigation on ths, was hoping that the connector would do this as it seem to have worked on my test until I downloaded your file.  I think the solution foryou will be in expresso.  I read a while ago Shrek had a answer to this by means of expresso, something along the lines of removing the Axis from the velocity.

Sorry I cant offer more help on this but If I find the post, I think it was in CGTalk Il post it up.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Rectro! I found it: https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/restrict-simulation-to-2-axis/1690057/6

Unfortunately, the described method is only for objects not points if I understand Srek correctly (Srek's example scene is no longer online).

Yes, I guess the only way is xpresso and iterate though all points to restrice the Y axis, hmm.... I still don't understand why connectors are not working.