Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
kbar

Subscriptions for Plugins? Good/Bad?

Recommended Posts

It's a good question Kent. I just hope that MAXON have given some thought to how their changes will impact plugin developers - but given the rush to subscription you never know.

 

The most comparable situation for me is After Effects. While it's sub based, it still has a very active plugin market - including quite a few well north of $500 - Trapcode et al. As a general rule they are perpetual with a yearly upgrade - but often the older versions still continue to work in the updated AE - certainly through the mid cycle updates.

 

I guess the key question here is how often will future C4D development break your plugins. Let's hope for everyone's sake it's not every single update.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is already a hassle to keep current with plugins, when some are still needing an R20 update or requiring Insydium's bridge to work or being discontinued. Adding yet another layer of grief by being forced to subscribe will be the end of many a plugin for me. I'm not doing subscriptions, not for C4D, nor for plugins, period.

Moreover, tracking and activating their plugins will be too much work for developers of small plugins. Imagine a 20$ plugin - you buy it, the developer delivers it, it runs. To earn these 20$ in a subscription, it would need constant attention for a year, or maybe two years. So the developer now earns 1$ or less per activation check? And your C4D installation phones home to 40-100 plugin developers constantly? And these developers have to constantly think of new ways to amend and extend their plugin to validate its worth to the buyer, because the buyer will be totally aware that he's paying all the time for something he may not use all that often?

Doesn't seem like a smart idea at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 2:11 AM, briankoko said:

I purchased just one plugin for C4d and will not do that again. When I was running R19 I spent almost $500 on a license of x-particles 3.0 was upgraded to 3.5. 

Went about just fine using the plugin until I upgraded to R20. 

 

Then I find out that I would need to upgrade to the newer version of x-particles for another $400 or so because the license for 3.5 wouldn’t work with R20. 

 

It it wasn’t even a year and the plugin I was still learning to use and had for less than a year was suddenly gong to cost almost $1000.

 

Spending that much money on a plugin that I couldn’t even use in the newest version of cinema without having to basically pay the equivalent of buying it twice in a 1 year span has thought me never to buy another plugin for cinema again.

 

On the blender side you can buy a very  impressive fluid simulator for $76 ( when it’s not on sale ) and I believe receive free upgrades when they are available. No maintenance or subscription schemes. https://blendermarket.com/products/flipfluids

 

Or Khaos, a smoke and debris simulator for $35 again with free updates https://blendermarket.com/products/khaos-ultimate-explosion-simulator

 

I have no problem paying those prices and knowing the plugin will still be viable and usable 9 months after I buy it. 

 

Fume fx, real flow c4d and x-particles are all great but I’ll never pay almost a grand for something that isn’t going to work if I’m ever inclined to upgrade cinema to a new version.

Unfortunately, those plugins have not yet been ported to Blender 2.8.

....but when they do....

 

Even if I had no interest in Blender at all, I would purchase  Khaos.  For $35 it looks like it would be really fun to play with in that it seems simple to use with some pretty cool built in functions.  The problems with most fluid/smoke tools out there is that you almost need an engineering degree to fully understand them and how one setting could impact the others.  But Khaos looks like it is very simple to use with pre-sets for debris, explosion spread, etc.  Kind of like the early days of Particle Illusion when it came out (I lost hours playing with their demo....very intuitive sprite particle plugin).

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy plugin Batman.....there are only 15 plugins in the Blender Market above $60.  The rest (and there are many of them) are all cheaper.  For the annual cost of the MSA,  you could easily buy more than 12 plugins a year.

 

Now, are they stable and easy to use?  Not sure.  But I do like the prices.  And don't even get me started on the models, shaders, etc.

 

....hmmmm...I am starting to like the idea of MAXON going to subscriptions....but for all the wrong reasons.

 

Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that every software provider wants to go to subscription. This may be good for companies and probably some freelancers, but others that do not use the software often may not like the costs. They have a perpetual license and today they may skip a new version, if it does not provide the right features at a reasonable price.

 

I have an MSA today, that will end after the delivery of R21. At the moment I work with R18, as I have some plugins for that version and there is no need for me to use a newer version at the moment. So let's see where Cinema is heading. I'm not into motion graphics, but more into characters. So there are a lot of features in C4D that I don't really need. Best things are the new nodal material system and new modeling tools. Still waiting for an improvement in the Bodypaint sector.

 

I have a similar issue with Vray. They changed the model to subscription as well. I still have a perpetual license for all versions up to R19. If Vray Next supports the nodal C4D material system, I might subscribe to Vray to be able to use it with R21 and later.

 

I love C4D, but there is Blender 2.8, which is constantly getting better and Chaos Group is working on a plugin for Blender as well.

There is even a plugin for importing Daz characters to Blender. As I do some programming myself, I could add some functionality here as well. I wrote some scripts for C4D already, but in case of Blender, I have the source code to understand, how I can integrate the plugin in the best way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, 3D-Pangel said:

Holy plugin Batman.....there are only 15 plugins in the Blender Market above $60.  The rest (and there are many of them) are all cheaper.  For the annual cost of the MSA,  you could easily buy more than 12 plugins a year.

 

Now, are they stable and easy to use?  Not sure.  But I do like the prices.  And don't even get me started on the models, shaders, etc.

 

....hmmmm...I am starting to like the idea of MAXON going to subscriptions....but for all the wrong reasons.

 

Dave 

Yes...I've come to discover that I needed a bump to see clearly, and MAXON's announcements provided that bump. 

 

A few years ago I was doing  commercial work w/c4d, but it has transitioned into more of a hobby for me. I make my revenue these days 90% from database development. I also needed a bump to see that my love of MAXON and belief that they were the 'good guys' in the 3d marketplace was naive. 

 

I have found it very refreshing to jump into Blender. I didn't realize what it had to offer. .And now that I won't be paying for the MSA, that money is freed up for other purchases. I plan to contribute to the Blender fund as a Gold sponsor....and buy some nice new 3d software toys. (maybe ZBrush ...or Marvelous Designer this year)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

    Yes...I've come to discover that I needed a bump to see clearly, and MAXON's announcements provided that bump. 

     

    A few years ago I was doing  commercial work w/c4d, but it has transitioned into more of a hobby for me. I make my revenue these days 90% from database development. I also needed a bump to see that my love of MAXON and belief that they were the 'good guys' in the 3d marketplace was naive. 

     

    I have found it very refreshing to jump into Blender. I didn't realize what it had to offer. .And now that I won't be paying for the MSA, that money is freed up for other purchases. I plan to contribute to the Blender fund as a Gold sponsor....and buy some nice new 3d software toys. (maybe ZBrush ...or Marvelous Designer this year)

     

    Just thought I would post this here as well. Since people have commented that one of the other reasons to leave C4D is that the update breaks existing plugins. Well so does blender updates (and every other software update).

     

    https://theduckcow.com/2019/update-addons-both-blender-28-and-27-support/

     

    This will most likely happen again when they go to 2.9. So every developer out there that has made a plugin, usually in their  free time, to sell to blender artists is now faced with having to update and rebuild as well. Or abandon.

     

    And the link shown is just about Python plugins. C++ based ones most likely need a full recompile as well. 

     

    But in C4D your existing python scripts should run just fine in R21.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    45 minutes ago, kbar said:

     

    Just thought I would post this here as well. Since people have commented that one of the other reasons to leave C4D is that the update breaks existing plugins. Well so does blender updates (and every other software update).

     

    https://theduckcow.com/2019/update-addons-both-blender-28-and-27-support/

     

    This will most likely happen again when they go to 2.9. So every developer out there that has made a plugin, usually in their  free time, to sell to blender artists is now faced with having to update and rebuild as well. Or abandon.

     

    And the link shown is just about Python plugins. C++ based ones most likely need a full recompile as well. 

     

    But in C4D your existing python scripts should run just fine in R21.

     

    2.8, as I understand, was one of the biggest upgrades in Blender history, so it's quite understandable it brought disruption. No doubt moving forward things will break at times.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    Latest Topics

    Latest Comments

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...