Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Modelling Forearm

Hey guys,

Modelling a character's forearm: Using the Capsule how can i make the upper rounded corner bigger in size than the lower?

Attaching 2 examples to understand what i mean.

I converted the shape pressing "C" so i'm just asking which tool would make me be able to inflate one part of the arm to get bigger.

Thanks!

1348542433_ScreenShot2019-08-19at10_02_43AM.thumb.png.b21d0aad861984f74b4df2d732608a7b.png

the right side is how i want it to look 

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.00.27 AM.png

taper deformer should do that quite nicely for you.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • Ha! Gracias sir!

15 minutes ago, AlexisB said:

Hey guys,

Modelling a character's forearm: Using the Capsule how can i make the upper rounded corner bigger in size than the lower?

Attaching 2 examples to understand what i mean.

I converted the shape pressing "C" so i'm just asking which tool would make me be able to inflate one part of the arm to get bigger.

Thanks!

1348542433_ScreenShot2019-08-19at10_02_43AM.thumb.png.b21d0aad861984f74b4df2d732608a7b.png

the right side is how i want it to look 

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.00.27 AM.png

Hey how's it going ? Not sure of your experience level in modelling , but looking at the question and the way you're attempting to do it I'd guess not very, are you planning on using subdivision? If so a capsule isn't the ideal primative to start with, you can use it , but I'd just use a cylinder instead,  also the segment count is way too high, I also wouldn't recommend having the two cylinders nested together to form the arm like that, this isn't how you would properly model an arm, personally I would lower the rotational segment count to 8, have a single cut in the middle of the upper arm and loop select the end of the cylinder were it attaches to the shoulder and scale it larger to create the taper, also join another cylinder at the elbow instead of having the 2 pushed together like that, if none of that makes any sense it might be worth looking at a few low poly character modelling tutorials on YouTube 

• Topic Author
  • Thank you! im definitely a newbie but just starting to catch on with modelling :-)

I was capable of creating the 2 cylinders as you've said like the below

1305582942_ScreenShot2019-08-19at11_34_15AM.thumb.png.c66538f2847d3d96bdd8851d42ac01dd.png

I have yet to join the 2 layers (using stitch and sew i suppose after Connecting them together), but their shapes look too rigid, shouldnt they have rounded edges to merge in together? i want to see what is the best position for the upper arm to work with the elbow so i will need to experiment and see what the best shape looks like, but right now without the rounded edges it doesn't help a lot..

626110664_ScreenShot2019-08-19at11_35_45AM.thumb.png.a35c9ad8bfec8c9be18b6a5e87cdf8e5.png

I would jump in at this point to remind you that character builds require edge loops in very specific places (principally the joints), and that the amount of radial segments in your tubes is way too high and your polys are rather uneven at the moment...

Also not a good idea to start the arm with 2 capsule objects, and not with a 90 degree angle between elbow joint and fore-arm.

I suggest you watch some videos on character design for animation so you at least know how these things should go together, and what is important...

One of the best examples of these tutorials is right here on the cafe...

This is a huge video series, as befits a task of this magnitude, so although the episode you need  for the arm is probably this one...

...you should watch the entire series anyway so that you understand where the arm fits into the character model as a whole...

CBR

24 minutes ago, AlexisB said:

Thank you! im definitely a newbie but just starting to catch on with modelling :-)

I was capable of creating the 2 cylinders as you've said like the below

1305582942_ScreenShot2019-08-19at11_34_15AM.thumb.png.c66538f2847d3d96bdd8851d42ac01dd.png

I have yet to join the 2 layers (using stitch and sew i suppose after Connecting them together), but their shapes look too rigid, shouldnt they have rounded edges to merge in together? i want to see what is the best position for the upper arm to work with the elbow so i will need to experiment and see what the best shape looks like, but right now without the rounded edges it doesn't help a lot..

626110664_ScreenShot2019-08-19at11_35_45AM.thumb.png.a35c9ad8bfec8c9be18b6a5e87cdf8e5.png

Still too high poly, if you're not going to rig this character , it would be ok to model it 'in pose' but you're not really going to learn the fundamentals this way, I'd watch the tutorials @Cerberasuggested, also download some of the models in my free models thread, this will give you an idea of low poly style character topology and construction 

https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/106363-free-character-models-n-stuff/

Don't know if its in later versions but there is a really good tutorial in the C4D R18 help files about character modelling, I was quite impressed with it having no character experience at all, heres a couple of grabs showing the start and finish of the hand they walk you through.

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.17.53.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.17.01.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.17.26.png

• Topic Author
  • Thank you for the resources guys! I've moved quite a bit in C4D but the modelling part is the one where i'm still struggling with.. I think since you recommended the videos i'll stop looking at youtube and commit to them for a while..

For hands, I would not recommend the tutorial above from Mr. Florand. The thumb topology is all wrong for animating. Generally edge loops should be perpendicular to movement of the bones. Better topology can be found in https://www.peterstrobos.com/blog/my-virtual-hand/