Sign in to follow this  
herrschobel

Logs in Water - Best approach ?

Posted (edited)

Dear People,

I am currently doing R+D for a Projection that will be used as part of an independent Opera piece. We need Logs that float on the surface of Water. The setup should be easy to control and allow us to play with different directions and movements for the flow of the Logs. Sometimes it will be almost static and sometimes we need the appearance of a River that carries the Logs quite quickly. i attached an Image that shows the desired complexity. Currently i am not sure which direction to take. X-particles, Mograph, Dynamics ?? .. 

so if someone can point me in a direction or share some ideas i would be very grateful.

Looking forward to some feedback.

ciao

Marcel

float.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Retitled for accuracy / later search use

Please take care to post in the correct section, which is not 'The Lounge'...

I've moved it to Miscellaneous Questions for you, which is where things go when you are not sure which category they belong in.

Also, 'R&D' is not a helpful post title, which should contain keywords pertinent to the problem. Please read the thread on How to Post for more info.

Lastly, you are referring to functionality (Cloner / Mograph / Dynamics) that your stated version (Prime) of the software doesn't have, which confuses the people trying to help you, so please make sure that the version listed in your profile is the version you are actually using !

CBR

What you are talking about is a super complex physics simulation.  C4D dynamics could maybe do it if it was small enough number of logs.  Have them on a plane with a low friction so the plane can be tilted and have them slide around.  If you want them on an actual water simulation xparicles could work with the water being really thin and not too many logs.  There could be a ton of logs with thick water it would just take forever to calculate.  If you want a ton of logs with real water Houdini might be the best option.

Think about what the camera is actually going to see and try to fake as much as you can to make the computers job as easy as possible.  Thinner water, or no water, as few logs as possible.  If it's top down like you show the viewer will not see any height so they can all be on a flat plane with no actual water calculations needed.  In that case having them slide around a plane using forces would be plenty.

We should also mention that if you are in the upgrade loop for R21, field forces might be incredibly useful here if you can wait the few weeks until it is released... they work with dynamics and particles...

Personally I have some doubts about whether dynamics can reasonably handle quite that many objects, but it's certainly worth a go, especially if you can capitalize on restricting yourself to a top-down view, which means you could use frontal / camera texture projection to project high quality log textures onto incredibly low poly geometry (perhaps as simple as boxes) to minimize the calculation times as much as possible...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so far.  I have not posted in a long time .. so i forgot about all the Rules 😉 .... Apologies for that !

i will try the dynamics approach first. The logs will be rendered very abstract in the end ... black and white probably ... top view ... it is more about the movement than the look ... I have a friend who is quite good with Houdini ... maybe i consult him .. very complex dynamic simulations seem to be a weak point of cinema ... still ... 

anyhow ! Thank you very much for your reples.

With a top down black and white C4D dynamics can do it.  First I made the mograph thing in the null called original clone.  Then I did a current state to object because it wouldn't play dynamics from the initial state in the dynamics tag if I didn't.  If you want more clones it can be set in the original mograph object then turned to current state to object.

Now I turned down the friction and put a vibrate tag on the plane so they can slide around like they are on water.

All that needs to be done is put the texture on the logs and hit render.

logs on water.zip

Edit:  I tried set initial state with the mograph cloner again and it worked out fine.  This means you don't need to do a current state to object.  Not sure what was wrong before.

• Topic Author
  • Wow ! you truly are a Samurai ! i will look into this and study your file. Thank you very much !