Sign in to follow this  
Ignash

R20 and XREF is still not finding path

It's 2019 and we're on the version R20. Xref still bugs out when it has to find reference in the network location...
Maybe someone can explain why it happens?

Why it works perfectly fine with the texture paths, but not .c4d files, what is the limitation??

I've tried many times to get them running realiably. Honestly, just don't use XRef is the best advice I can give. They just refuse to work a lot of times and are a pain to work with.

I know it's not a solution to your problem but since I've stopped working with them I've had way less headaches.

• Topic Author
  • It mostly worked for me apart this relative linking stuff, it kinda defeats the purpose of xref, the most amazing thing that the problem is there since R14...

I agree, Xrefs should've been fixed by now. It would be a very powerful tool in production, but it's unpredictable. One thing though, and I think someone answered it for me on the Cafe at one point, when you first create an Xref, first thing to do is change the link to Absolute, I think or whatever the opposite is when you see the setting.

Seemed to help a lot. For me, when I scaled a Xref, it would do this funky explode thing and you couldn't undo it.

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, BigAl3D said:

I agree, Xrefs should've been fixed by now. It would be a very powerful tool in production, but it's unpredictable. One thing though, and I think someone answered it for me on the Cafe at one point, when you first create an Xref, first thing to do is change the link to Absolute, I think or whatever the opposite is when you see the setting.

Seemed to help a lot. For me, when I scaled a Xref, it would do this funky explode thing and you couldn't undo it.

Yeah, i think you mean change to "Relative" to not have the explosion of the objects...I kind of made the mistake and started using it for production right now. So far the only two problems i found is overwriting of shaders/tags and relative linking. I wish it would work more as a take manager, which works flawlessly for overriding properties.

5 hours ago, Ignash said:

Yeah, i think you mean change to "Relative" to not have the explosion of the objects...I kind of made the mistake and started using it for production right now. So far the only two problems i found is overwriting of shaders/tags and relative linking. I wish it would work more as a take manager, which works flawlessly for overriding properties.

by default it's set to relative, and there's a bug that adds a second slash into the relative file path after a while (sometimes) that then results in the xref attributes being greyed out. if you untick "relative", it gets set to absolute file path and this problem doesn't occur anymore. 

overwriting of materials has never worked unfortunately. i mean it works, but open the file again and everything will be reset to the settings in the original xref. changing parameters outside of material settings (tags/user data and so on) works though. 

the first thing i do when working with xrefs is i untick the relative file path box, and i make sure under the modify tab only PSR, parameters and user data is ticked. never tick hierarchy.

i've used xrefs in nearly every bigger project i've done in c4d, and if you obey these rules they are pretty reliable. at least for character rigs. i don't know how it behaves for instance with complex mograph setups or dynamics though, never had the need to involve xrefs in those scenarios.

but i agree, those bugs need to be fixed.

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, everfresh said:

by default it's set to relative, and there's a bug that adds a second slash into the relative file path after a while (sometimes) that then results in the xref attributes being greyed out. if you untick "relative", it gets set to absolute file path and this problem doesn't occur anymore. 

overwriting of materials has never worked unfortunately. i mean it works, but open the file again and everything will be reset to the settings in the original xref. changing parameters outside of material settings (tags/user data and so on) works though. 

the first thing i do when working with xrefs is i untick the relative file path box, and i make sure under the modify tab only PSR, parameters and user data is ticked. never tick hierarchy.

i've used xrefs in nearly every bigger project i've done in c4d, and if you obey these rules they are pretty reliable. at least for character rigs. i don't know how it behaves for instance with complex mograph setups or dynamics though, never had the need to involve xrefs in those scenarios.

but i agree, those bugs need to be fixed.

Great tips, thank you!