Sign in to follow this  
JLeaburn

C4D R20 Studio and Xparticles for Sale

• Topic Author
  • Blender may be the route I take and if I sell my license then I may invest in computer hardware instead.

I sold my license without knowing about MAXON's plans. For me, the cost of MSA was too high and I needed to pay for too many plugins for my needs. The upgrades didn't help me much, and I hit a wall with some of my projects. Given the new CEO of MAXON coming from Adobe,  I was not surprised to see a shift to rentals.  Rentals are not just Adobe's model, but most software is going that way. I sold my Modo license for the same reason. I see a better future in Houdini or Blender. Personally, I think Houdini is the best DCC on the market, regardless of price, and it is much cheaper than any alternative other than Blender for most people.

Folks, hope you will reconsider this and still be around. It makes me very sad to see people who invested so much in C4D and spent so many years on Cafe helping out and being so active in community think about leaving. Maybe it would be good idea to stick around and keep the perpetual license for a bit more before making final decisions...

3 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

I sold my license without knowing about MAXON's plans. For me, the cost of MSA was too high and I needed to pay for too many plugins for my needs. The upgrades didn't help me much, and I hit a wall with some of my projects. Given the new CEO of MAXON coming from Adobe,  I was not surprised to see a shift to rentals.  Rentals are not just Adobe's model, but most software is going that way. I sold my Modo license for the same reason. I see a better future in Houdini or Blender. Personally, I think Houdini is the best DCC on the market, regardless of price, and it is much cheaper than any alternative other than Blender for most people.

Houdini nailed it with the indie license and its cost. I hope MAXON will go the same route. But it takes a lote a time to be decent with Houdini. Like someone said here, after trying different packages I keep coming back to Cinema 4D. The ease of use is an important factor for me.

The thing with subscription, the true problem, it only works for a limit time. Then the user who can‘t pay or don‘t want drop off for another software. Hard to get them back. AD us facing that problem right now and tries to avoid it with the low price for individuals (like Houdini). 

Downpoint in Houdini is the special file format that makes many resources unavailable. 

So, AD might get back a few switchers, but they ignore the causal users. The ones that work for passion or the ones that uses a software just rarely in a company. 

The model is all for short term cash flow.