Sign in to follow this  
gboutique

Type of lighting?

I am looking to build a scene using C4D R19 and physical render and I want to create a bright sunny day like the attached. What is the best way to light this type of scene, should I be using the Physical Sky or HDRI or something else? Any thoughts and links to any tutorials would be hugely appreciated. Many Thanks, Ben.

la-palm-palm-trees-535011.jpg

hdri would be better. Use a sky (and donate) to hdrihaven.com

Please update your profile to the correct version...

I'd say either approach is fine, especially if you want a cloudless sky, but physical sky would have the advantage of allowing you to change the time of day, which might be useful for dialing in shadow angles and sun colours etc...

CBR 

• Topic Author
  • ok thanks for this, do you think GSG HDRI kit would be good for this? thanks

• Topic Author
  • any good tutorials for this type of thing?

25 minutes ago, gboutique said:

any good tutorials for this type of thing?

Yes you can use the GSG rig if you like... all its settings are in one handy place, so that's easy...

But you don't need a tutorial for any of these other methods; it's only 1 or 2 steps !

Essentially all you are doing is finding an HDRI that has the sort of lighting conditions you need, applying that to a Sky object, setting its rotation, then turning on GI and hitting Render ! You can then optionally hide that from the camera with a compositing tag if you'd rather use a photo for the actual background of your shot (via a background object) and just use the HDRI for its lighting...

Likewise, setting up Physical sky is as easy as loading one, and setting the time of day before, again, GI and render...

CBR