Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Copy Pasting Hair Properties

Hey guys,

Couple of questions on working with Adding Hair Object.

Question 1 - I "Add(ed) hair" on a metaball and chose its properties and texturing details (Hair Count, etc).

I want to add more Metaballs and add the exact same properties of Hair for all of them (hair length, count, etc), only change basic things like color, etc.

Is there any way i can replicate the values automatically over the different "Hair" Objects by Copy Paste or i have to go over everyone individually and re-add the numbers corresponding? 

Question 2 - When I add the Hair to the Metaball this is what it looks like

658403913_ScreenShot2019-08-22at9_45_03AM.thumb.png.70775a5f4128185bfa999e1c7f4a0d11.png

When i move one of the circles inside the Metaball the Hair gets messed up

880773951_ScreenShot2019-08-22at9_45_16AM.thumb.png.af131af4282eefbedab22f0e12b02b14.png

Is there any way I can move around the circles inside the Metaball without affecting the overall Hair Object added?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, AlexisB said:

Is there any way i can replicate the values automatically over the different "Hair" Objects by Copy Paste or i have to go over everyone individually and re-add the numbers corresponding?

Yes, just copy the hair object you have set up in the Object Manager, and link it to a different mesh in the Guides Section. Do the same for any hair material by copying that in the Material manager., and dragging the new one over the copy of the original texture tag.

4 hours ago, AlexisB said:

When i move one of the circles inside the Metaball the Hair gets messed up

Of course - when you animate things inside a metaball you are changing the underlying geometry and point count, which will cause the hair to have to adapt / recalculate every frame, thereby breaking any dynamic animation that may be going on...

Is there any way I can move around the circles inside the Metaball without affecting the overall Hair Object added?

Not that I am aware of. For me that makes hair simply unsuitable for use with metaball objects...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • The problem is when i linked it, it occupied the mesh shape of the original object which is the Sphere. I want it be on the cube but following the cube's shape..

1457591621_ScreenShot2019-08-22at12_12_49PM.thumb.png.9af81c5731d2257828d8590ea7184d0c.png

• Topic Author
  •  

23 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, just copy the hair object you have set up in the Object Manager, and link it to a different mesh in the Guides Section.

Just tried it again and it worked, maybe because the hair count was small in the beginning it didn't show..

24 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, just copy the hair object you have set up in the Object Manager, and link it to a different mesh in the Guides Section.

Of course - when you animate things inside a metaball you are changing the underlying geometry and point count, which will cause the hair to have to adapt / recalculate every frame. Unfortunately I can't think of a way to avoid this other than not using hair on constantly changing surfaces... perhaps someone else can ?

CBR

Thanks! will see if theres someone who knows something about this

1 hour ago, AlexisB said:

Just tried it again and it worked, maybe because the hair count was small in the beginning it didn't show..

Yes after you re-link it, you would need to reset the timeline / redraw the viewport for the guides to update to the new shape.

CBR

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Yes after you re-link it, you would need to reset the timeline / redraw the viewport for the guides to update to the new shape.

CBR

Yes this is also the case when storing the hair guides, and transferring them to another object and restoring them after rooting them, the hair can go crazy out of position until you rock the timeline forward then back a few frames.

Dan