Sign in to follow this  
Frokito

Amazing facial rig

Oh, I second that.
I've been... for a very long time, trying to find some good facial rig tutorial.
I do my own facial rigs...but when it comes to the mouth, I get lazy.. 🙂

6 hours ago, kikomesh said:

Do you know of any good C4D Facial Rigging Course or Tutorials? I'm having no luck finding anything decent. I'd love to learn how to create a rig like this but even something half as complex would be nice. there's tons of stuff for Maya but C4D: no love. thanks.

There is no love for C4D because MAXON does not put any love into their character animation.  This makes it a horrible pain to make character animation happen.  As was stated there is probably a lot of xpresso to get it to happen.  That xpresso then makes it almost impossible to render on a farm because of the way xpresso is handled.  The problems compile into a mess that no one can navigate to make a decent end product.

To make a long story short use Blender.  Get the Skin Selection plugin.  Enjoy making some great facial animations because you don't have to struggling to get the tool working the way it should.  If you like character animation then Auto-Rig Pro will save your life.  It does way more then auto rigging.  It also has a built in retargeter that works, built in export to fbx, it's basically a must have for any character animator in Blender.

28 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

There is no love for C4D because MAXON does not put any love into their character animation.  This makes it a horrible pain to make character animation happen.  As was stated there is probably a lot of xpresso to get it to happen.  That xpresso then makes it almost impossible to render on a farm because of the way xpresso is handled.  The problems compile into a mess that no one can navigate to make a decent end product.

To make a long story short use Blender.  Get the Skin Selection plugin.  Enjoy making some great facial animations because you don't have to struggling to get the tool working the way it should.  If you like character animation then Auto-Rig Pro will save your life.  It does way more then auto rigging.  It also has a built in retargeter that works, built in export to fbx, it's basically a must have for any character animator in Blender.

i‘m using complex facial rigs in production, it works perfectly, also for rendering on farms.  a lot of xpresso involved. i‘m not experiencing that mess you‘re talking about at all.  xpresso is a good thing, it allows you to create complex dependencies you just can‘t get with constraints alone.

also i find it somewhat offensive to say that no one can make a decent end product. it feels more like YOU can't make a decent end product, and you're blaming c4d for it. here's one example of what i'd consider a decent end product, i can show you a lot more if you insist. 

I'm gonna speak from my own experience. I always wanted to create an advanced rig. I just managed to do that past month using Blender. I found a lot of resources to do that (its also very cheap but qualitative). If someone has a lot of experience or is tech savvy can always figure things out in any software. Every software has its strengths and weaknesses. Aside from the software., availaible resources also play an important role. I still consider myself a beginner and I need (comprehensive) training and courses that go beyond the basics. You can find some stuff for cinema 4d but If I want to create an advanced tig as above (not as complex) then I need to look at other software training or video's (like maya) but it is possible. I also find rigging and weighting more fun in blender and less painful than cinema 4d. Also not dealing with priority constraints is awesome.

I'm not saying one software is generally better than the other. It just depends on what you want to do. I just find some aspects easier as explained above. Like I still use mograph and x-particles. It's just easy and fun to use.

Just my two cents

true. the lack of character rigging learning resources is by far the biggest issue with c4d. no doubt blender has a big advantage in this regard, also not having to deal with priorities is a huge plus. but i'd argue that in general creating a complex face rig is similarly difficult in any software package. the same principles apply everywhere, just the tools are different. some tools are better in package X, some better in package Y, you need to find workarounds to overcome the weaknesses of certain tools, blender doesn't seem to be any different in that regard. 

like everybody else i'm really impressed by blenders progress, in a lot of areas it's far ahead these days. what bothers me though is that obnoxious evangelism, especially from former c4d users, who surprisingly still hang around suspiciously much at c4d forums. saying blender is good is one thing, saying blender is better at everything and everything else is bullsh..t is just wrong and also a little bit annoying.

26 minutes ago, everfresh said:

true. the lack of character rigging learning resources is by far the biggest issue with c4d. no doubt blender has a big advantage in this regard, also not having to deal with priorities is a huge plus. but i'd argue that in general creating a complex face rig is similarly difficult in any software package. the same principles apply everywhere, just the tools are different. some tools are better in package X, some better in package Y, you need to find workarounds to overcome the weaknesses of certain tools, blender doesn't seem to be any different in that regard. 

like everybody else i'm really impressed by blenders progress, in a lot of areas it's far ahead these days. what bothers me though is that obnoxious evangelism, especially from former c4d users, who surprisingly still hang around suspiciously much at c4d forums. saying blender is good is one thing, saying blender is better at everything and everything else is bullsh..t is just wrong and also a little bit annoying.

Yeah def agree. 

4 hours ago, Fastbee said:

I think this is not very productive to this discussion man...
I love all the input and experience you are bringing regarding Blender on the Blender topic. 
(I even bookmarked those videos you shared) 
But yeah, this discussion is more regarding C4D facial rig tutorials, etc..  and even though I know there arent, unfortunately, many good rigging tutorials for the software.. I dont think turning this into a software war will help anything..

If you see what guys like Everfresh, Orestis and others are producing with the software, you would know that these things are possible within C4D. Just, unfortunately, there isnt much information regarding these how to achieve these results around... not even paid tutorials. (I reached out Orestis for a specific tutorial on a procedural landscape just a few days ago, but unfortunately, couldnt find any other resource)

4 hours ago, everfresh said:

also i find it somewhat offensive to say that no one can make a decent end product. it feels more like YOU can't make a decent end product, and you're blaming c4d for it. here's one example of what i'd consider a decent end product, i can show you a lot more if you insist. 

You call that decent?

Seriously?

I call it amazing. 

That was done in C4D?  I never would have thought that level of cartoon squash and stretch was possible with our rigging tools. Very fluid with impeccable comic timing.

Bravo! 

Many thanks to the team at Bomper Studio for changing the paradigm about C4D's character animation capabilities.

Dave

2 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

You call that decent?

Seriously?

I call it amazing. 

That was done in C4D?  I never would have thought that level of cartoon squash and stretch was possible with our rigging tools. Very fluid with impeccable comic timing.

Bravo! 

Many thanks to the team at Bomper Studio for changing the paradigm about C4D's character animation capabilities.

Dave

c4ds rigging tools are much more capable than most people think! we do have a few limitations because of how our object system works, but most things that can be done in maya can be done in c4d as well.