Sign in to follow this  
adamjm

modelling cut outs

Hi guys,

I'm trying to model recesses into this tray, but unfortunately I've had to use the boole tool which makes the file size huge when i want to do a couple of holes.

I basically want the trays like iPhone packaging, so it's a recess in a piece of plastic essentially..  which holds a product.. I've tried to use cuts and have had this problem before on other projects.

I'm not sure if C4D is good for this type of modelling?.. as it shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.. but MAXON seem to make it complicated..

In Solidworks for example, I can simply draw the shape i want on a model face and extrude it inwards to create the hole.. it couldn't be more simple.. Does anyone know how i can create a spline shape on a  surface to create a hole, without using the cut tool?

any advice would be great

thanks 

packaging tray.c4d

This is rather like a bad workman blaming his tools. You really seem to be saying 'I don't want to put the effort into learning modelling skills, but I'm annoyed that the lazy cheats for that don't work all the time'. It's hard to be impressed by that attitude if I'm honest, or to know what advice to give you - maybe you should stick with programs more like MOI or Solidworks if proper poly modelling is beyond you. But please don't blame Cinema, whose modelling toolset (and even the cheats when used properly) are really pretty decent now for those willing to put a little time into learning how to use them...

Like so many of your posts - there was no need whatever to use a boole for this. Simple poly modelling could have done it in only fractionally more time than it would have taken to setup the boole and you'd be getting none of the problems...

I have to go work now, but will show you how when I get back if no1 else gets there first...

CBR

3 hours ago, adamjm said:

Hi guys,

I'm trying to model recesses into this tray, but unfortunately I've had to use the boole tool which makes the file size huge when i want to do a couple of holes.

I basically want the trays like iPhone packaging, so it's a recess in a piece of plastic essentially..  which holds a product.. I've tried to use cuts and have had this problem before on other projects.

I'm not sure if C4D is good for this type of modelling?.. as it shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.. but MAXON seem to make it complicated..

In Solidworks for example, I can simply draw the shape i want on a model face and extrude it inwards to create the hole.. it couldn't be more simple.. Does anyone know how i can create a spline shape on a  surface to create a hole, without using the cut tool?

any advice would be great

thanks 

packaging tray.c4dUnavailable

Lol, probably because in any cad program you don't have to worry about topology and you can just boole away till your hearts content, unfortunately for you, you can't take this approach when poly modelling, nothing wrong with the tools or the program, cinema is perfectly capable of producing highly detailed, complex models, it's just that you don't posess the nessisary skills to do so, big difference between the two. I would take the time to watch some sub division, hard surface modelling videos, or take a look at @Cerberaexample if he's generous enough to model it for you, before you denounce the program any further 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the feedback Lol, I would like to add solidworks is very effective for doing what I mentioned above, it’s not a Boole tool you would use, but just simple extrudes into a surface, with no complex topology to worry about. Job done.

it’s just twice as much to buy.. hence why I bought C4D prime.. 

anyway yes I looked at a tutorial today.. I will try and find a few more. 

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

This is rather like a bad workman blaming his tools. You really seem to be saying 'I don't want to put the skills into learning modelling, but I'm annoyed that the lazy cheats for that don't work all the time'. It's hard to be impressed by that attitude if I'm honest, or to know what advice to give you - maybe you should stick with programs more like MOI or Solidworks if proper poly modelling is beyond you. But please don't blame Cinema, whose modelling toolset (and even the cheats when used properly) are really pretty decent now for those willing to put a little time into learning how to use them...

Like so many of your posts - there was no need whatever to use a boole for this. Simple poly modelling could have done it in only fractionally more time than it would have taken to setup the boole and you'd be getting none of the problems...

I have to go work now, but will show you how when I get back if no1 else gets there first...

CBR

Hey CBR,

I just struggle with it so there’s no cheats here, I work in a 3D industry where I make real objects for manufacture. And cinema let’s me create quick shapes.. it’s just this method C4D uses could be made more simple... that’s all.. 

simple poly modelling you say..really? sorry but it’s not, unless you’ve been using C4D for 20 years..

I’ve put time in to learn this, but I guess I’m used to more mathematically correct 3D cad programs.. I appreciate I have a lot to learn still.. but it’s just getting used to using these tools. I solve one problem then create another.. anyway appreciate the feedback as always 🙂

Many thanks 

• Topic Author
  • Ps I think I probably benefit from face to face lessons if I’m honest... I sat between to guys who used it 2 years ago.. and I learnt loads in the space of a week.. just by asking them.. anyway I’ll keep plugging away 🙂

I hate to suggest yet another program, but Moi3d would be very helpful to see how CAD/nurbs models with booles get converted to polygon equivalents.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, I’m actually thinking C4D May be better for me as a visualisation tool and buying something like Rhino.. or Fusion.. these are great for 3D modelling for what I need... there’s very few designers in my industry that use cinema to build a model.. most use it to render or use key shot.. 

CAD/nurbs modelers are great for manufacturing but generally only fair for rendering and can't be rigged. Booles are fine for nurbs modeling but almost never the best way for polygonal modeling. If you insist on using them for polygonal modeling, Modo would be a better choice with meshfusion.

Ok, here's how we do that in the polygon way...

1824808459_pentray2.thumb.jpg.425ebf7b01e60530b9da382c67bc8333.jpg

710770153_pentray1.thumb.jpg.184bcd9eff256054438345d8ae912127.jpg

1. Start with a 12 sided cylinder (no caps, slice, 180-360 degrees)
    2. Tweak vertices into correct shape...

3. Loop Cut down center, delete one half, symmetry, so we only have to make 1 end cap... now extrude those 4 edges up
    4. Make 2 loop cuts across them, and bridge into all quad end caps...

5. Add 8 or so loops down the length of the cutout so we get similar poly density to the caps

6. Collapse Symmetry, select border edges, extrude, then Points to Circle, add control loops and thickness with extrude.

Here's the file, in case any of that is unclear...

packaging tray cbr.c4d

By the way, I fully agree that 1-on-1 training is by far the best way to understand something. I do actually offer that as a service if you are interested - I could show you making this entire model over skype if you had a little budget to play with... do pm me if you ever need that.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks CBR, that’s great.. and yes I’d be interested to sort out some Skype sessions for sure.. thanks again for the above.. I will check this out tomorrow when back home.. I think I’ve gone wrong previously by choosing the wrong polygons to model in to start with.. thanks again