Sign in to follow this  
ingvarai

Adding objects below others, not above

Is there a way to configure C4D so that new objects are added below the other objects  in the Objects hierarchy?
As it is now, and has been since I started with R13  some 7 years ago, they always come on the top. And I, always, have to pull them down to the bottom, because this is how my brain works.
It is logical for me that the most recent added object is at the bottom.

Of course... :cowboypistol:

Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 00.02.21.png

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

• Topic Author
  • Blushing.. wonder how log this has been possible.. And I even write plugins for C4D in C++
    Well - I just have to thank you!

Edited:
    It wan't that easy after all. Se my post below.

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • Ok, it does not work the way I want, after all. There is no Bottom option.
    For the objects to end up at the bottom, which I want them to do, always, the current object at the bottom has to be selected, and the Next option has to be selected. This is not what I want, this is no better than the default Top mode C4D comes installed with.
    So it is not possible to have the objects default always added at the bottom after all.
    I can't be the only one who likes the objects to end up at the bottom. 
    -Ingvar

...maybe some little script for selecting last object in OM before adding new object would solve that. Script simply run once thru a whole hierarchy in OM and will select last one object...

Adding some shortcut and done.

Or it could be script with own icon. Something like you have currently with primitive´s palette. On the top of this folded palette will be script with own icon, click on it unfold palette and at the same time perform script and will select last one object. When will be clicked on some object from unfolded palette for adding to the scene, since in Preferences will be marked "Next", new object will be added to last place in OM

• Topic Author
  • Hi, yes a script would probably solve this. But I'd rather have MAXON add this functionality.
    Like this:
    An additional option named  Bottom.
    So that when no object is selected in OM, the newly added object is added at the very bottom in OM. When an object is selected, the newly added object is added at the bottom of the selected objects sub items hierarchy.
    This is logical for me, and natural way for me to work. Likewise, when I write a document, and add a topic to my article, I add the new topic at the bottom of the document.

-Ingvar

You can also change the insertion point by holding a qualifier when creating a new object.

ALT - as parent

SHIFT - as child

CTRL - as next

SHIFT+CTRL - as previous

But you need to have an object selected for these to take effect.

Also, the qualifiers interfere with the keyboard shortcuts. If you have a shortcut to create e.g. a Null, then that shortcut needs to be defined with all these qualifiers, which again wreaks havoc on the menus where these shortcuts are shown. Problematic cross-effects are problematic.

Therefore, I just select an object when I want to create another one (controlling the insertion point with qualifiers), and use icons or menus.

But yes, a "bottom" option would be easy to do and nice to have.