Sign in to follow this  
Adrien

Node material editor

Posted (edited)

Hi, I’m wondering if a lot of folks are using the node material editor. I mainly do product viz and find the “old” editor much more straight forward for most tasks. 

I think I acquired basic proficiency but I just don’t find the process as enjoyable and fast.  Like for instance, why do I need to insert a normal map node to plug a normal map to the normal channel? 

Dont know if anyone feels the same...And yes, I know that the Uber material is there for people like me. I’m just curious to hear what other users think. 

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section (Nodal Materials)

They might take a little more setting up initially, but there is no doubt that nodes are a better, far more flexible and more of an industry standard solution to texturing than the old way, and before we had them, Nodal materials were perhaps the most oft-requested feature by users. They were a long time coming, but MAXON really did a great job of implementing them, and they get better all the time.

But that is not to say it won't take some time to adopt, especially for long-term users of the software who, like me, were well used to the legacy material setup, and found nodes quite intimidating initially. And if you've been in it a while you'll know we had only just got used to the newer reflectance workflow, so trepidation at yet another new way is understandable. But this is a hump we must all get over because the future of materials IS nodal, and eventually we'll all be able to zip round that interface like we can with our old setups now... except even faster and with much great efficiency because we'll have been able to compact, customize and archive materials and textural /nodal components we have made / used before.

But there is no great rush to learn these things. Standard and Uber mats will be around for good while yet, so just continue to use them if you're in a hurry, and get your nodal practice in when you are doing personal stuff or don't have an epic deadline to meet...

As for HOW to get better at them you could do a lot worse than watching the cafe's own Introduction to nodes by @Hrvoje on our Youtube channel, or browse his epic nodal materials repository right here on the cafe, but after that it's just practice until you are feeling as comfortable there as you have done in any other texturing environment in older versions or other apps...

CBR 

6 hours ago, Adrien said:

Hi, I’m wondering if a lot of folks are using the node material editor. I mainly do product viz and find the “old” editor much more straight forward for most tasks. 

That is why you have both material system. Simply use what is most comfortable for you :)

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Aaahhh, the reflectance channel...It took me YEARS to actually get the hang of it. 

MAXON should have removed the color channel and established PBR as the new, standard workflow. They should have removed specular as well...And the different reflection types...Beckmann, GGX...I know they all have their pros depending on the type of material and reflection you are trying to create but what a headache sometimes...

But i guess they did not want users to complain about render speed dropping like crazy so they kept all options instead of enforcing one way of doing things. 

Anyway, yes CBR you are right as always. I guess I’m getting tired of these changes that most of the time imply a steep learning curve. 

2 hours ago, Adrien said:

Aaahhh, the reflectance channel...It took me YEARS to actually get the hang of it. 

MAXON should have removed the color channel and established PBR as the new, standard workflow. They should have removed specular as well...And the different reflection types...Beckmann, GGX...I know they all have their pros depending on the type of material and reflection you are trying to create but what a headache sometimes...

But i guess they did not want users to complain about render speed dropping like crazy so they kept all options instead of enforcing one way of doing things. 

Anyway, yes CBR you are right as always. I guess I’m getting tired of these changes that most of the time imply a steep learning curve. 

Why would the remove working features that people use? The reflectance stuff is all fine and cool, but it takes ages to render sometimes and it's really not hard to differentiate between a real unbiased & pbr workflow and the "old" way to do materials. Both have their respective uses depending on the project.

I really don't understand what you mean by the different reflection models being a headache. If you're not into hyper realistic renderings then you can just keep on using either the standard color channel or use the diffuse layer in the reflectance channel as a base, then add your "coating". 90% of people don't see a difference between Beckmann and GGX either.

More flexibility is always better. It might be a bit of a headache if you start using Cinema after the reflectance stuff got integrated, but other than that it was just a straight up upgrade and no need to remove the old stuff.

The only thing that's really annoying though is that every material has a standard oldskool specular on it. Need to delete it for every single damn new material.

1 hour ago, DasFrodo said:

The only thing that's really annoying though is that every material has a standard oldskool specular on it. Need to delete it for every single damn new material.

No no no :) Just set up a material once, specular layer killed, and as you want it otherwise, then use Set as Default to get the same one every time you click new material after that ;)

CBR

9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No no no :) Just set up a material once, specular layer killed, and as you want it otherwise, then use Set as Default to get the same one every time you click new material after that ;)

Oh my goooood how did I NOT know about this? Thanks! That changes everything!

• Topic Author
  • 14 hours ago, Cerbera said:

CBR

Nice tip, thanks!!! 

15 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Why would the remove working features that people use? The reflectance stuff is all fine and cool, but it takes ages to render sometimes and it's really not hard to differentiate between a real unbiased & pbr workflow and the "old" way to do materials. Both have their respective uses depending on the project.

I really don't understand what you mean by the different reflection models being a headache. If you're not into hyper realistic renderings then you can just keep on using either the standard color channel or use the diffuse layer in the reflectance channel as a base, then add your "coating". 90% of people don't see a difference between Beckmann and GGX either.

More flexibility is always better. It might be a bit of a headache if you start using Cinema after the reflectance stuff got integrated, but other than that it was just a straight up upgrade and no need to remove the old stuff.

What confused me for months if not years, was  the difference between the color channel and the layer color for instance. The presence of a bump setting that is also available as a separate channel was another problem that kept me scratching my head for a while. 

And the reflection types just add up to the complexity without much difference between the 2. 

I 100% agree on the importance of flexibility but I think MAXON should streamline a bit. We now have 3 render engines and 3 material editors (I’m counting in the Uber material) which all work a bit differently.