Sign in to follow this  
daddycoull

Baking the display tag keyframes

Hi there,

I have an animation of a forklift picking up a palette and for speed I used a display tag animating the visibility for the palette that gets picked and and a palette that is already in position on the forklifts forks.  This obviously works great for inside c4d.  The problem is when it comes to exporting my scene as an .fbx (for use in sketchfab).  The tags don't work so the palette is visible on the forklift before it has even picked it up. 

Can you bake the display tag, like expresso etc?  Or is there a better way to animate the visibility that would allow it to transfer to .fbx?

Thanks,

Yeah I'm not surprised that doesn't work. Whilst FBX format does have visibility channels, we can't currently address them as far as I know, and certainly not in versions before R18... Nor can we use Object On / Off properties via the traffic lights, or 'enabled' keyframes...

But I think we can use scale. So that's what I'd try next. At the start of the animation keyframe Object Scale to 0, copy that to the frame before you want it to switch 'on', then in the next frame scale it to 100% and key that. Then let us know if it works ! 🙂 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah I'm not surprised that doesn't work. Whilst FBX format does have visibility channels, we can't currently address them as far as I know, and certainly not in versions before R18... Nor can we use Object On / Off properties via the traffic lights, or 'enabled' keyframes...

But I think we can use scale. So that's what I'd try next. At the start of the animation keyframe Object Scale to 0, copy that to the frame before you want it to switch 'on', then in the next frame scale it to 100% and key that. Then let us know if it works ! 🙂 

CBR

Thanks I'll give that a try, was worried someone was going to say something like this! On the upside my work has ordered new pcs and have said they'll sub to the new cinema 4d subscriptions so I'll finally be using an up-to-date c4d (r21). 

• Topic Author
  • 17 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

CBR

It worked, cheers would never of thought of animating the scale!