Sign in to follow this  
StageFive

SVG / Vector Material Possible?

I'm thinking this probably isn't possible, as I already tried to apply several vector formats (ai, svg, pdf) to a a material. I'm new to C4d, so I may be missing something. Modo allows an svg file to be used in a material. Which is good because you can zoom in really close on the UV map without loosing any resolution. I found a plugin (Vector Graphics by Plugins 4d) that looks like it might do it, but they only sell it as part of a bundle. https://www.plugins4d.com/pricing-r20

Does anybody know if there is a way to do this in C4d out of the box? It would make it a lot easier when I need to update some graphics I've done in Illustrator. 

Thanks!

Im not aware you can do that, I believe its only bitmap formats that are supported. You could use the clumsier method of placing the AI file as a smart object in a pshop PSD, tho again you would have to make a rasterised layer of that, a rather meandering route back to your original artwork.

Deck

well... not  directly but you can import vectors from illustrator  with free plugin  https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cv-artsmart/artsmart_download
And then import individual paths in to  layer shade and ad Chanel Effect/spline an composit it in layere shader . witch is probably too much work it would be cool to have ability  use vectors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvk_WJD_BPA
splines  effect 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSmRS-4BUGM&t=1697s

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the feedback! I have the cv-artsmart plugin, but I agree that probably more convoluted than just creating a bitmap. It's not that much more terribly difficult, but anything I can do to shave some time down and have less support files floating around the better. I work for a sign company, so I have a lot of different layouts that I swap out or update depending on what the 3d render will be for.

You could also save out a layered PSD directly from AI and overwrite your previous version each time.

Deck

For me using SVG file format works as well in R20. Tried commercial R20 (with installed SVG importer) and in R20demo (without svg importer). Standard or node materials, picture viewer etc. in all cases works well...

What isn´t good, svg file looks "internally" converted to raster image instead of keeping vector format. But svg itself is "readable"...

add,

with deeper exploration not all svg files are readable. There must be some svg "format versions" with some differencies in metada which make files unreadable. I was tried few pictures randomly downloaded from web/wiki and few are readable and few not.

add2,

what I check file with extension .svg wasn´t svg in-real. This was reason why I was able to load as texture directly. Also importer didn´t understand that, so after "investigation" I found this file as non-svg. Importer is just similar like artsmart, imported svg file is converted to splines/paths (offset can be set) and colors are also supported. But not as texture...

3D max added this feature years ago to use vector files as textures.  True vector files that would maintain resolution.  To me this is so awesome and useful.  I figured others would soon do this too, but nope.  This feature would be so great in Cinema 4D