R21: reenable internal Help-system?

24 minutes ago, MikeA said:

I'm really hoping Rick is still subscribed to, and reading, this thread... : )

The other aspect of the help system that needs improvement is the search function. Currently it just seems to be a simple search on the main content text. It would be really helpful to have a specified phrase - ie: "a multi word phrase" in quotes.

The thing is, the old system was a pretty simple display of HTML pages/files. To go forward with this we needed a webserver behind the help, something that is best done online, like with 21. To make this functionality available offline you need a local webserver, something that comes with an own set of baggage.

All in all not a simple thing to resolve to everyones agreement, but as Rick said, we are working on it 🙂

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We'll have some news soon on this. We've heard your feedback and are working to address it. - Rick

Okay...If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times: PLEASE STEP OUT OF YOUR ECHO CHAMBER and stop listening to yourselves.   Start listening to your customers.  Never consider an

The issue will be fixed in the next service release, which is coming soon.   Cheers, Rick

Posted Images

3 hours ago, srek said:

The thing is, the old system was a pretty simple display of HTML pages/files. To go forward with this we needed a webserver behind the help, something that is best done online, like with 21. To make this functionality available offline you need a local webserver, something that comes with an own set of baggage.

All in all not a simple thing to resolve to everyones agreement, but as Rick said, we are working on it 🙂

Hi srek,

nice to get some Infos, thanks. I personally are not against an online help on principal, but I would like to know if there where so many demands to change it, because one could get the Impression, that people quite like the old help system. Or was it a decision to accommodate all the new subscription users?

best regards

Jops

Having a web server behind the help gives us a lot more options in the way the help content is provided and what we can offer. As such it is the base for furthe rimprovements on the help. The Online only situation is just a temporary thing. I honestly did not expect it to be such a big issue.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, srek said:

Having a web server behind the help gives us a lot more options in the way the help content is provided and what we can offer. As such it is the base for furthe rimprovements on the help. The Online only situation is just a temporary thing. I honestly did not expect it to be such a big issue.

Thanks for clarification

• 2 weeks later...
  • Silver Contributor

OK - great to see this has been worked on for the R21.1 update... thanks to all who heard our cries and took action.

However - I've got the offline help installed, but I'm not getting any context sensitive linking to the 'right-click > Show help' menu.
Any ideas?

How does this work?

I installed the update.

I unchecked the online checkbox (and before that the external browser checkbox)

I downloaded the correct language help package from Maxons website and unzipped it into the help-folder within my MAXON Cinema4D R21 folder.

Nothing.

I checked the folderstructure inside the help folder and made sure it looks like 
help/de
help/files
help/icns
help/redirect.html

I restarted Cinema. But as soon as I disconnect the network, my help-window stays blank when I use the contextual help on anything.

I’m on a Mac. Environment variables are not a thing here.

Any Ideas?