Sign in to follow this  
fredcudjoe

CINEMA 4D R21 VIEWPORT NOT SHOWING

2 minutes ago, fredcudjoe said:

it pop ups an info box

That confirms it: only OpenGL 3.2 is supported on your HD2000 graphics chip. That's the culprit. Again, you have been very lucky R20 ran at all on your system.

PS No driver exists for the HD2000 that supports a higher version of OpenGL. I know, because I looked. I have a Windows tablet with the same chip, and desperately wanted to run some software which required OpenGL 4. It's a dead end.

Luckily, you have a desktop that can be upgraded. And according to C4D's minimum system requirements your system lacks RAM memory as well: at least 4GB is required, and you only have 2GB.

Check the system requirements here:

https://www.MAXON.net/en/products/cinema-4d/system-requirements/

• Topic Author
  • 25 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

I think you might be out of luck with your Intel HD2000: it only supports OpenGL up to version 3.1

Cinema4D 21 requires at least OpenGL 4.1. While C4D R20 also required OpenGL 4.0, the latest R21 might not be as forgiving. In short: you lucked out. Your HD2000 is not officially supported in R20.

The HD2000 is nine years old, and truly a bottom of the barrel graphics chip. I am amazed you have been able to do any 3d work on a system like that.

My suggestion would be to invest a little money in a new graphics card. Your system is a XPS 8300 Desktop model, and looking at the technical service manual, it doesn't provide that much space for a graphics card, so you should be careful what kind of card to get. Measure the available space before making a purchase.

A good inexpensive model would be the AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB. It will make a world of a difference compared to your current graphics chip (which, frankly, is outdated - sorry 🙂 ).

Your system main board sports one PCI Express x16 card slot, in which the new graphics card should be inserted. Check the service manual here:

https://data.technimax.cz/attach/artilky/xps-8300_service manual_en-us.pdf

Chapter 7 explains the process.

And additional advantage is that your current HD2000 chip gobbles up precious main RAM, which is then released to the OS (and C4D) to work with.

Also, if your Operating system is still running on a traditional hard drive (seeing that your computer is from 2011 chances are that it is), do yourself a favour and get a nice solid state drive (SSD), image your main hard drive, and clone your system on that new SSD drive. Finally, install a bit more memory, and it will feel like a new computer.

Anyway, looking at your current system spec, you've been extraordinarily lucky Cinema4D R20 runs on it.

Thanks a lot for the help and advice.

All is noted, will see to it and get myself updated.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, hvanderwegen said:

PS No driver exists for the HD2000 that supports a higher version of OpenGL. I know, because I looked. I have a Windows tablet with the same chip, and desperately wanted to run some software which required OpenGL 4. It's a dead end.

Luckily, you have a desktop that can be upgraded. And according to C4D's minimum system requirements your system lacks RAM memory as well: at least 4GB is required, and you only have 2GB.

Check the system requirements here:

https://www.MAXON.net/en/products/cinema-4d/system-requirements/

Thanks for the help.

please do recheck, my RAM is 20GB.

8 hours ago, fredcudjoe said:

Thanks for the help.

please do recheck, my RAM is 20GB.

Ah sorry - in that case RAM is fine. Just get a good graphics card. Do research, though: depending on your work you may want to invest in a graphics card that allows you to do GPU rendering (like Cycles4D or Octane). Make sure your mainboard supports your choice of graphics card.

Yeah time for a new graphics card. I'm still running a first generation i7 950 CPU but I've upgraded the GPU about 3 times and increased my RAM to 24 GB.  This has kept me zipping along pretty well. My current graphics card is a nVidia GTZ 1050ti. A budget high performance GPU.

I have exactly the same problem, I can see anything except if I use my octane review view.

Windows 10, GTX 1070 card with C4D R21

Any solutions?