Sign in to follow this  
Intenditore

An open letter to MAXON CEO McGavran

Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?

• Yes
    • No

Love your avatar Dave. Vote with your wallet is my advice. Interesting that after 20 plus years I cancelled my daily newspaper subscription as the price as been gradually going up and got to a point where it was just too much. Anyway I cancelled my subscription a month ago. I get a phone call today. How about the next 12 months for 1/2 price an not be tied into a fixed term contract. Naturally I accepted as we like getting the daily paper in my house. The point is the only thing that gets through to these companies is losing sales and sometimes you do have to hold back on your payments to them to get some attention.

Maybe i misunderstood, i thought you were talking about a lower cost yearly contract that is paid monthly. That is the bookkeeping problem i was refering to.

1 hour ago, srek said:

Maybe i misunderstood, i thought you were talking about a lower cost yearly contract that is paid monthly. That is the bookkeeping problem i was refering to.

I think we were talking about generally paying monthly, not yearly even though it's advertised as monthly price. At least that's what I meant :lol:

A monthly contract that is paid monthly is currently available. The price of the subscription is something everyone has an own opinion about.

A yearly contract that is paid monthly is not available. The problem here is that if the customer does not fulfill the contract, lapsed payment etc., the bookkeeping becomes a nightmare. This can be handled, but it is expensive in terrms of money as well as work/time and needs a long preparation period. This is again a result of the Sarbanes Oxley act.

Just to be clear, many seem to think that this is some kind of excuse to just not do something, the real problem is that the act mainly targets huge corporations, but also impacts smaller companies that are owned by corporations, who do not easily have the ressources to handle this. Add to this that not complying to Sarbanes Oxley can come with criminal charges and you might see why this is a bit of a problem.

So how come Adobe bills me every  month for the CC suite? 

Is it just a problem of book keeping?

I'm not an adobe customer, i don't know if you have a yearly or monthly contract. Regardles, as i said both are possible, the monthly paid yearly contract just requires a lot more work and investment and is currently not offered by MAXON.

Also keep in mind that Adobe is a 9bn dollar company with a product portfolio that is basically completely subscription based, whereas Nemetschek is a 0.5bn company with a very small number of subscription offers.

And again you can get a monthly paid subscription of Cinema 4D right now, you just don't get as good an offer as with the yearly paid one.

At least for me that's the problem I see.

If it was communicated more clearly, for example: "Get CINEMA 4D now for 750€ a year or 105€ per month".

Right now the website sells it, at least at first glance, in a different way. The plan that locks you for a year is shown in monthly cost as well and the overall price isn't shown at all. I think that's just misleading, but I can accept that. It's business, I understand that.

Question is, why can't you guys offer one price per month and one perpetual price, period. Why does it have to be more expensive if I only use it for a month instead of a whole year? All the other softwares I use have that option. There is no need to decide if I want a month or a year, the subscription just runs for as long as I want it to, for one price.

4 hours ago, srek said:

A monthly contract that is paid monthly is currently available. The price of the subscription is something everyone has an own opinion about.

A yearly contract that is paid monthly is not available. The problem here is that if the customer does not fulfill the contract, lapsed payment etc., the bookkeeping becomes a nightmare. This can be handled, but it is expensive in terrms of money as well as work/time and needs a long preparation period. This is again a result of the Sarbanes Oxley act.

Just to be clear, many seem to think that this is some kind of excuse to just not do something, the real problem is that the act mainly targets huge corporations, but also impacts smaller companies that are owned by corporations, who do not easily have the ressources to handle this. Add to this that not complying to Sarbanes Oxley can come with criminal charges and you might see why this is a bit of a problem.

Thank you for explaining that in detail, very interesting. This is the kind of stuff that helps understanding actions of a company that looks like greed at first.

So this is a book keeping problem, linked to a US law that would imply too much admin for a company like MAXON. Thank you for your clarifications. I don’t see the devil in MAXON or its management but I honestly question some of your decisions. 

Anyway yes I have an annual Adobe CC subscription billed monthly. I would have never accepted forking out the full annual price upfront.

I’m quite sure this alone will cost you customers unfortunately. 

Since the question was asked of me...

We would like to be able to offer yearly/billed monthly.  Lot of work that we are looking at.   

Cheers

Dave

On 9/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, 3DKiwi said:

Personally I think that's BS and just a convenient excuse. The Foundry has no problem putting out 3 versions / updates of Modo each year and I pay an annual maintenance.

Houdini drops a full version every fall and a half about 4 to 5 months after that and smaller updates/bug fixes throughout the year. so, yes MAXON can do it if they wish.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, 3DKiwi said:

Dave. I hear you and I totally agree. What gets me is we have a pretty light R21 release that people had been expecting the long overdue UV tool enhancement and faster object handling but no, a few enhancements, no doubt useful, but then at the same time users are essentially told they are going to have to pay more in the future. If anything what people are paying MAXON should be coming down. Now with Blender 2.8 nipping at their heels the last thing I would be doing is pissing off my customers by dicking around with what they pay. I think if I hadn't jumped ship 4 years I certainly would be now.

they could be waiting for next years release to hit it out of the park to get people excited and hooked on C4D, they you have to do SUBSCRIPTION to keep using it, then they can go back to lackluster releases like R21 because they know they have you with their subscription plan.

3 hours ago, bobc4d said:

they could be waiting for next years release to hit it out of the park to get people excited and hooked on C4D, they you have to do SUBSCRIPTION to keep using it, then they can go back to lackluster releases like R21 because they know they have you with their subscription plan.

There's got to be a big release coming at some point. We know they are redoing the UV tools and I don't think we've yet seen all of the new core since the UV tools / Bodypaint are built into the core.  So I'm predicting R22 is the big one with new UV tool set, faster object handling, multi-threaded Xpresso, updated Xpresso with more nodes. Has to be otherwise I think there will be a mass exodus to XYZ 3D application.