Sign in to follow this  
Intenditore

An open letter to MAXON CEO McGavran

Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?

• Yes
    • No

Many people are disparaging MAXON's new CEO as some sort of "marketing guy from Adobe", but this is false, and unfair. His previous roles were all in engineering and engineering management, not in marketing, and he would in all likelihood not have been involved in Adobe's licensing changes over the last few years.

Its fine to express all sorts of opinions about the changes in MAXON's licensing, but let's not resort to that kind of ad hom. It's not productive.

3 minutes ago, NWoolridge said:

Many people are disparaging MAXON's new CEO as some sort of "marketing guy from Adobe", but this is false, and unfair. His previous roles were all in engineering and engineering management, not in marketing, and he would in all likelihood not have been involved in Adobe's licensing changes over the last few years.

Its fine to express all sorts of opinions about the changes in MAXON's licensing, but let's not resort to that kind of ad hom. It's not productive.

This is correct, but you have to remember where people are coming from. MAXON get's the new CEO, coming from Adobe, which are known for their subscription licensing model. Not one release later, we get an overhauled licensing system that needs an internet connection every other day and shits all over loyal MSA users. Not to mention, we have no idea how long the perpetual license will be available anymore.

People are mad, and rightly so. It doesn't really matter from what background he is coming from for most of the users, since they don't know he wasn't involved in Adobes subscription related decisions. It's not fair, no. But he is CEO now and he definitely agreed to this, so he's in it just as much as every other person that made this decision.

thought I'd lighten the mood...

lag.png.52dfae642ee07582b9ee055a54071434.png

3 hours ago, Tavarino said:

Captive C4D user here - can't consider alternatives at the moment. Since my Studio MSA renewal date is mid-year, I converted to a new 2-year subscription for about the same cost as a 1-year MSA. But long-term, it is clear I may not be able to rely on MAXON. I absolutely need a Plan B, so the goal for the next two years will be to get up to speed with Blender. Currently, it is still not my cup of tea, but the integrated VFX and NLE features are really intriguing. If Blender continues to innovate at the current pace, there are serious doubts whether I'll renew in 2 years. MAXON will need to make some blockbuster improvements to keep my business. 

Somebody must read this carefully, because Plan B can mean Plan B(lender) maybe!...

I am really happy to see the CEO of MAXON in the forum and I really hope negative comments and personal attacks dont stop Dave from visiting and reading the forum.

I have been using C4D for 12 years with a MSA. I was always hoping MAXON would switch to a subscription model. Im really glad they did.. And personally i dont care about owning a license.. im always online. I always want the latest update and release and never go back to an old version once the new one is released. I also purchased redshift 5 months ago and Im super please MAXON purchased redshift. I am also a long time adobe user and subscriber.. its great. much better then the old system of buying multiple various levels of a license. subscription is so much easier and also easier for my boss to approve $50/-$80 month. versus thousands up front. I did wish R21 had more new features, but I still like what was released.Keep up the Good work Dave, Stick around

• Topic Author
  • Adam, if it suits your particular needs, I'm glad, but this doesn't mean it's right nor good for everybody else

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, blutz said:

I would be very much interested in this list. Could you please send it to me?

It's wonderful to hear that 🙂

I tried to send you a message, but the system tells me my in-forum mail if overfilled and I can't write to anyone. So let me please attach the doc here

It's a brief list of about every problem or flaw I stumbled upon in Cinema 4D and some of my thoughts on how they could be solved or improved. + Some new concepts might be useful. If you need a vision of detailed solutions to some things, let me know.

C4D_IMPROVEMENT_SUGGESTIONS.rtf

4 hours ago, Intenditore said:

Adam, if it suits your particular needs, I'm glad, but this doesn't mean it's right nor good for everybody else

of course nothing will ever suit everyone. but also what often happens is a solution will suit 95% but the 5% are the ones making all the noise and complaining and crying bloody murder and the sky is falling.

5 minutes ago, adamfilip said:

of course nothing will ever suit everyone. but also what often happens is a solution will suit 95% but the 5% are the ones making all the noise and complaining and crying bloody murder and the sky is falling.

In my experience, the subscription model is rather liked by 5%. The rest endures it or keeps hands off.
    The merchants of big agencies love it, of course, and those who could not afford the software with the purchase model. So rather hobbyists or users in the small budget area.

7 hours ago, Intenditore said:

It's wonderful to hear that 🙂

I tried to send you a message, but the system tells me my in-forum mail if overfilled and I can't write to anyone. So let me please attach the doc here

It's a brief list of about every problem or flaw I stumbled upon in Cinema 4D and some of my thoughts on how they could be solved or improved. + Some new concepts might be useful. If you need a vision of detailed solutions to some things, let me know.

C4D_IMPROVEMENT_SUGGESTIONS.rtf 9.43 kB · 9 downloads

You might want to run a spell check on your list..

Surprised you didn't list a proper symmetry modelling mode. That's probably the number one short coming with C4D's modelling toolset.

What about UV tool enhancements? Nothing much listed yet Cinema 4D has one of the worst UV toolsets out there. That said, they have stated they are working on UV tools but it's taking a life time. Just shows you how bad they are /  how out of date they are.

Other things not listed: Particles. Thinking Particles is way out of date. My guess is MAXON has thrown in the towel with Particles since XPartciles does such a good job. Pyrocluster needs an update. What about an update for Sketch and Toon?

Then of course Cinema 4D's performance with lots of objects is still an issue isn't it? One reason for the core rewrite. XPresso isn't multi-threaded.

One issue with Cinema 4D is it still has a modular structure underneath the hood. For example different things (modules) have their own selection tools, symmetry tools etc. 

Got to say it's refreshing to see MAXON's CEO and Product Manager posting and responding here. The Product Manager has posted before but the previous management now retired were missing in action.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

Thanks for the detailed feature list.  We will review and compare to stuff we are actively working on.   From a first read many are nice small enhancements.   I can assure you we haven't thrown in the towel on any features.  We are hard at work on the next release.  

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the list. Very interesting. I will need some time to dig into this list.

@Nigel: Non of the lists I get are complete. There is always stuff missing. Or not missing, as such lists are mostly very personal and people don't use certain parts of the software.

Yes, I've occasionally post here. Maybe less than I should, but posting in forums always take a lot of time, as you have to phrase your posts very carefully and think twice on what to write and how to write. But I have a pretty good overview on the forums because I normally read the forums and if I miss something I get pointed at important posts by colleagues.