Sign in to follow this  
Intenditore

An open letter to MAXON CEO McGavran

Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?

• Yes
    • No

21 minutes ago, Mithril said:

Oh.. and the license manager needs to be able to sign out a license remotely... what happens if my laptop get stolen and I didn't sign out. No, don't tell me... contact support! No, wrong answer... let me do it myself. See how messy this gets? Internet is only great while it works after all.

It has been stated several times and can be verified by anyone already using R21, you can remotly disable a license from your My MAXON page.

33 minutes ago, Mithril said:

As much as I'm happy you're being more aggressive against competitors.. here is the main reason why I'm probably dropping out.

With the current perpetual I would now have to pay the full price every single year.. but with MSA I got the same version cheaper, because I stuck with it. With this pricing, you're essentially giving me the middle finger. Not cool.. not cool at all. (If there is a way to get the new version perpetually like before, it isn't on your page. But something tells me it will still be nearly 2x if that's the case. Still not cool.)

To be short.. with the current price structure it no longer makes sense.. if things are going to cost me >2500€ then I might as well go back to Autodesk. 

Sorry but how did you end up with these numbers? How can you say that C4D will cost you 2500€ per year? The cost of a perpetual license  upgrade is not even known yet. Former  upgrade prices without MSA’s were around 990€, which is definitely not 2x the price of an MSA. 

Sorry if I missed anything. 

1 hour ago, Adrien said:

Sorry but how did you end up with these numbers? How can you say that C4D will cost you 2500€ per year? The cost of a perpetual license  upgrade is not even known yet. Former  upgrade prices without MSA’s were around 990€, which is definitely not 2x the price of an MSA. 

The numbers are on their page... and there is no way that I can see how someone like me with perpetual can get an upgrade to new perpetual like before, now that MSA is gone. There is a sidegrade available on the stores here in Sweden, but I don't know if that is supported, or something only available to them. If it is, then it isn't communicated. And even then it is twice the price like I just stated.  And C4D would cost €3567 (according to their page) which is much more than the 2500 I listed. The reason for that number is because (given currency fluctuations) is near the limit for the Autodesk alternative I mentioned. Hence it is cheaper. I hope that clarifies things somewhat. But it essentially boils down to things no longer being competitive for me. If what I get at Autodesk is cheaper, and what I get for the money is so much more... then it doesn't become a hard choice for me. After all, it is all about the money in the end. And I haven't even brought up Houdini yet... 

1 hour ago, Adrien said:

I am not shure what he is calculating to get to the 2500€ as well, but compared to my MSA costs of a year ago 990€ it is not so far away from 2x the price.

1 hour ago, srek said:

It has been stated several times and can be verified by anyone already using R21, you can remotly disable a license from your My MAXON page.

I mentioned it because it didn't work.. I literally had to fire up my laptop and sign out from there. And I don't like the one computer limit while on the subject. Most companies do allow two installs for this very reason.

2 minutes ago, Jops said:

I am not shure what he is calculating to get to the 2500€ as well, but compared to my MSA costs of a year ago 990€ it is not so far away from 2x the price.

Because it is near the cost of the full media package from Autodesk.. which includes Maya, 3dsMax, Mudbox etc.. for a full year. My fault for not being clear.

18 minutes ago, Jops said:

Same for me: I used to pay 660€ for my MSA (VAT incl) so yeah,  I just realized that indeed, the upgrade cost would be close from 2x.  However the part about paying 2500€/year  for an upgrade is still not clear.

I’m in Tokyo right now so I guess the jet lag is affecting my brain. 🙂 

23 minutes ago, Mithril said:

The numbers are on their page... and there is no way that I can see how someone like me with perpetual can get an upgrade to new perpetual like before, now that MSA is gone. There is a sidegrade available on the stores here in Sweden, but I don't know if that is supported, or something only available to them. If it is, then it isn't communicated. And even then it is twice the price like I just stated.  And C4D would cost €3567 (according to their page) which is much more than the 2500 I listed. The reason for that number is because (given currency fluctuations) is near the limit for the Autodesk alternative I mentioned. Hence it is cheaper. I hope that clarifies things somewhat. But it essentially boils down to things no longer being competitive for me. If what I get at Autodesk is cheaper, and what I get for the money is so much more... then it doesn't become a hard choice for me. After all, it is all about the money in the end. And I haven't even brought up Houdini yet... 

I think you are mistaking the price of a new perpetual license for the price of a perpetual license upgrade, which has not been communicated by MAXON yet. The company committed to offering upgrades for perpetual licenses. The price is simply not available for now. 

On 9/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, DMcGavran said:

Thank you for your feedback.  I have been on here and other forums reading all the responses. I am someone who loves talking to customers.  I will be at IBC and very happy to chat to anyone who comes by.  I will also be at many of the European stops on our roadshow.   I am not ever going to write long responses on forums, never seems to go well.  I am here, I am reading and the team is as focused on working with our customers as ever.

Hope we get to meet in person.

Cheers

Dave

Hi,  Why doesn't MAXON have an official forum? 

1 hour ago, Adrien said:

Former  upgrade prices without MSA’s were around 990€, which is definitely not 2x the price of an MSA.

Let's compare with 2017:

My MSA was about 550€, including 19% VAT 595,- if I recall it correctly. This included one year of Cineversity and all updates during that year, implicitly covering the next C4D version.

Currently, the price I hear around here for a regular MSA-less upgrade is $999 or so (the old price page is gone so I do not know what the local € price used to be). Since that is a US price it's without VAT. As of today's exchange rate, this is 905,01€ w/o VAT or 1076,96€ including 19% VAT. Now Cineversity used to cost a hundred bucks per year when it was still possible to buy access (not to mention a 300$ fee for the first year just to enter the esteemed halls of learning). As Cineversity is no longer part of my yearly package, I need to add this cost as a hypothetical sum: 100$ = 90,60€ + VAT --> 107,81€.

The total sum I would need to spend to get the same stuff I used to get through the MSA is therefore 1076,96+107,81 = 1184,77.

Twice the MSA would have been 1190€. That is close enough for me to justify "double the cost".

Now, MAXON raised the price for an MSA in 2018 (by roughly 10%!) so if you compare the hypothetical upgrade cost with the 2018 MSA cost, it looks a bit worse for the MSA. And if the Euro price for the standard upgrade was indeed lower, this too works against the "double" cost phrase. But no matter the exact numbers, it is still a significant difference.

But lo! don't despair fellow wayfarers, because surely MAXON will see the light and announce a fair price for the perpetual upgrades - which will certainly be the cost of the corresponding timeframe's subscription, won't it? - and also add a voucher for one year of Cineversity. Then, only the grumpiest users will keep complaining (because of the price increase of 20% on top of the 10% from last year, but who's counting?), and celebrations will happen all over the lands.

19 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

But lo! don't despair fellow wayfarers, because surely MAXON will see the light and announce a fair price for the perpetual upgrades - which will certainly be the cost of the corresponding timeframe's subscription, won't it? - and also add a voucher for one year of Cineversity. Then, only the grumpiest users will keep complaining (because of the price increase of 20% on top of the 10% from last year, but who's counting?), and celebrations will happen all over the lands.

It's amazing what we're satisfied with, isn't it?

3 hours ago, Adrien said:

I think you are mistaking the price of a new perpetual license for the price of a perpetual license upgrade, which has not been communicated by MAXON yet. The company committed to offering upgrades for perpetual licenses. The price is simply not available for now. 

Be that as it may... I can't wait for them to make up their mind... I need to plan for what I'm doing today. Changes take time. And time isn't a luxury for me.