Sign in to follow this  
Intenditore

An open letter to MAXON CEO McGavran

Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Jops said:

850€ is the price without VAT I would guess.

incl. VAT that would be 1011,50€ in Germany for example.

please correct me If I am mistaken.

That's a lot! Why is it more expensive than going subscription?

1 minute ago, Frokito said:

My guess is, that they want it to die in a couple of years an go subscription only with the argument that no one updated or bought perpetual.

But that is just my personal theory. 

45 minutes ago, Frokito said:

So if someone wants to upgrade from perpetual R21 to perpetual R22, and so on, the upgrade price will be around EU 850?

we haven't announced future version names or numbers or release dates.  But yes the next perpetual release will have an upgrade option and it will be around 850 EUR without tax.  It is a different product than the subscription and therefore has a different pricing structure.  We have committed to future perpetual releases and too upgrades.  There isn't much more info that I can give and I am not sure how much clearer I can get 🙂

Cheers

Dave

1 hour ago, Jops said:

He is talking about today's upgrade price without MSA.

Hi Jops, yes I know.

It's clarified the price and upgrade route for future perpetual licenses (or at least I think it has)

(1) There is an upgrade next year and future years

(2) It will cost approx. €1000

(3) We have to contact my local seller about upgrading when the time comes

That's what I've gathered from Dave's posts, open to correction though!

33 minutes ago, DMcGavran said:

we haven't announced future version names or numbers or release dates.  But yes the next perpetual release will have an upgrade option and it will be around 850 EUR without tax.  It is a different product than the subscription and therefore has a different pricing structure.  We have committed to future perpetual releases and too upgrades.  There isn't much more info that I can give and I am not sure how much clearer I can get 🙂

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Is Ciniversity included with the future perpetuals too?

5 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

Hi Dave,

Is Ciniversity included with the future perpetuals too?

Cineversity is not included right now but they said they are looking into It if they might include it in part or completely.

Cineversity was never included in perpetual, only in MSA.  We will definitely consider adding it to the upgrade but we only started discussing this based on the feedback, please bare with us.

Cheers

Dave

850 Euro comes to around $938 USD....which is slightly better than the $999 USD that was the cost of upgrading by one version in the past should you not have an active MSA.

Soo.......instead of a 54% price increase from the $650 MSA price it is only a 44% price increase.

Not much movement there.  Folks, the only way to get price movement is to NOT jump on R22 no matter how awesome it is and you have until right before R23 is announced to sit on your wallet....though I have no idea when that will be.   

Again, the real test of how successful this whole new pricing plan will be is when R22 is announced as I am sure the majority of R21 licenses were through the final days of the MSA program.   

MAXON needs to make payroll and needs the revenue from new releases but we don't need to buy the perpetual license as soon as  they are released - if at all (don't forget Blender!  It is still out there!).    Nemetshek may give them a grace period  for a downturn in sales during this transition in MAXON's business model so they will be watching R21 subscription performance and R22 perpetual license performance with great interest.  But regardless of the grace period for soft sales,  no company likes to lose money so if sales are worse than projections then changes will be made.

Time is on our side so lets use it.

Dave

6 hours ago, Frokito said:

Because unlike subscription, that version is permanent. Unless I'm mistaken, with subscription they'll only keep three years of versions available. So if you'd have to open up an old project (for whatever reason) you wouldn't be able to use that old setup if that version is no longer available. With permanent.. it will be. Most people could care less about that though.. but having worked in media for so long.. going back to old projects (whatever they may be) isn't exactly something unknown to me at least.

Which is why I have a literal library of some very old programs etc.. archived for my disposal for such events. May it be programing, art etc.. The only thing I haven't had use for (so far knock on wood 🙂 ) is watcom c++ from the 90s.

I used to pay 660€ every year for my MSA renewal (basically a right to upgrade in 1 year). 

With the new pricing scheme  I’ll now fork out about 1000€. 

That’s a 50% price increase with zero added value. In my world we call  this extorsion. It’s unbelievable. And there is not a single explanation. Not an excuse. And when I see what’s in R21...

I really hope another company will emerge soon. The Ableton of 3D. Like SideFx or Pixologic in their respective fields.

3 hours ago, Mithril said:

Because unlike subscription, that version is permanent. Unless I'm mistaken, with subscription they'll only keep three years of versions available. So if you'd have to open up an old project (for whatever reason) you wouldn't be able to use that old setup if that version is no longer available. With permanent.. it will be. Most people could care less about that though.. but having worked in media for so long.. going back to old projects (whatever they may be) isn't exactly something unknown to me at least.

Which is why I have a literal library of some very old programs etc.. archived for my disposal for such events. May it be programing, art etc.. The only thing I haven't had use for (so far knock on wood 🙂 ) is watcom c++ from the 90s.

To be clear.  With subscription we will keep "at least" 3 years of versions available. 

Cheers

Dave

3 hours ago, Adrien said:

I really hope another company will emerge soon. The Ableton of 3D. Like SideFx or Pixologic in their respective fields.

Its called Blender 2.8 --- again, not as smooth as C4D but just as capable (even more so in some areas) and very production proven with some good investing from game companies, etc.   So it has a strong future and a passionate user community.  Plus if you have used Cycles 4D, then you already know how to texture in Blender but if not, there are  also some very good free tutorials on pretty much every aspect of the program (Blender Guru is rising to be my favorite instructor).

Dave