Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

How to Center Mesh Correctly

Hey guys,

I am using this wheel in a product video animation. The wheel should be rotating around this center 

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.3fbb33c38c633f7dde38dbfdcfcf81b9.jpg

Although i have centered the Axis correctly on it, it still is not 100% rightly centered and so when im rotating it its moving from its original location.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.c148e0ee12c637aa1cab16ad2fa9a7f1.jpg

I went to Mesh / Axis Center / Center Axis To and the result is SOMEWHAT accurate, but the wheel is still not rotating correctly.. any idea how i can make the axis 100% in the middle so that the wheel rotates in one direction only and doesnt move from its place?

Thanks

Always upload the file so we have the best chance of seeing what is happening 😉

You didn't say whether your Axis Center tool was in 'center to points' mode or not, and the difference there could be crucial.

But from your screenshots it seems that while its position may be correct (but we can't even be sure of that), your axis is not rotationally aligned with the object, which will affect its subsequent rotation which is presumably based around that axis. So it will wobble with the current situation, even if the axis IS perfectly centered ! 

So first thing to do is use Axis center to fix the alignment as well, which you should base on a planar edge within the model, thence using the 'selected edge' method to match the rotation. If that doesn't work for you, we will be needing that scene file.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • but this is a very unreliable work method, i have all the degrees zero'ed out in the layer in the coordinates (its called NIU in the C4D document), and i did the Mesh / Center Axis To. Can you record on your screen what you fixed and share it with me so that i could understand? Cause it didnt make lots of sense to me what should i do..

The file is here: https://we.tl/t-jlssQJmKML

Thanks!

Do we really have to DL a 75 MB file ? Any chance you could copy just that object to a new file, and upload that instead ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • there you go..

wheel.zip

Cheers...

CBR

What can do this is having some vert unseen remaining, when using the Axis Centre it takes these into account so do a optimise to clear these.  Other than than that its down to viewing the file, which as mentioned should be smaller file with uneed geometry removed.

Dan

That's an excellent point from @Rectro there, but it's not the case with this mesh.

but this is a very unreliable work method, i have all the degrees zero'ed out in the layer in the coordinates (its called NIU in the C4D document), and i did the Mesh / Center Axis To.

No disrespect but it only unreliable if you don't know how to use that properly 🙂 It is entirely capable of serving your purposes here.

Here is the type of edge you could select, one planar to, and pointing up (what should be) the Y axis of the object....

825565330_Axisshift.thumb.jpg.a73799ab524150343b8c3edc4206ed8a.jpg

Then you just need these settings in Axis Center, and you should be all good to go...

Make sure you go back to object mode for this, so you can see the axis change !

983299787_AxisSet.thumb.gif.b8043a38cffd222e11911359836c1cb8.gif

You may wonder why we need points center unticked in the position here. That is because if it was enabled there would be a minute bias away from the actual center caused by the polygon / point distribution within the object that is not equal across the mesh. With that unticked, we are centering to the bounding box, which is what we need here.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • is there any way you could record the screen while doing this @Cerbera and share it with me? its quite detailed and im not sure how to research that online, might save me a lot of time to see the direct method of fixing it.. thank you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i8hqggmo261p3b/exact_center_of_object.png?dl=0

In this case it is simple. Select loop of polygons placed exactly around center of object, open Axis Center, then "Axis to"/"Selected Polygons"/enable Alignment / All Axis and "To Normals"

This way you align axis to object for correct rotation. In orthogonal view (if you reset all position and rotation parameters in coordinate manager/or not) you could move axis (with snapping also if want/or not) manually to bottom or top of object. (or where you need)

Exact center/value can be find in formula (bounding box in axis for rotation/2) and placed exactly by simple hack with workplane to selection command...

15 minutes ago, AlexisB said:

its quite detailed

No it's not - it's 2 steps !

1. Select that edge I showed you above (then go out of Edges Mode back to Object Mode).

2. Get Axis Center - enter settings shown in that gif.

Done ! I really can't see how that needs a video 😕

Or use @bezo's method which will get you the same result...

CBR

@Cerbera

I followed your steps and the first time it worked.  Since then iv reloaded the file and followed it and it has not worked, very odd results Im getting.  I also noted that he has keys on that object, thats not a good idea to add keys then change the objects axis.

Dan