Sign in to follow this  
znich

Jiggle + Wind and Multiple Objects

Hi — I'm working on a landscape that has some sparse plants dotted around. Trying to get them to move as if there is a slight breeze.

A jiggle deformer with a wind force works great for the most part. Question is, when I use that method on more than one plant, they all move identically. I had assumed wind would be applied across the scene with differing results....or would have a seed, or something...but alas...stuck...

Any ideas or a better method? I tried a spline wrap with wind, but the plants are short and wide (like a fern) so looks strange. Maybe using hair, though I'd prefer more granular control of placement and such...

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, znich said:

Hi — I'm working on a landscape that has some sparse plants dotted around. Trying to get them to move as if there is a slight breeze.

A jiggle deformer with a wind force works great for the most part. Question is, when I use that method on more than one plant, they all move identically. I had assumed wind would be applied across the scene with differing results....or would have a seed, or something...but alas...stuck...

Any ideas or a better method? I tried a spline wrap with wind, but the plants are short and wide (like a fern) so looks strange. Maybe using hair, though I'd prefer more granular control of placement and such...

Thank you!

when you apply  a wind deformer to multiple objects they will move all the same way, that's just how the deformer works. you could apply multiple wind deformers with different settings and restrict them to vertex maps to get different behaviours... another option would be a displacer deformer with a large scale animated noise. but for what you want i'd go with hair, you can also have pretty granular control with hair where objects are placed, over their scale and all. just have the hair render as guides, you can draw guides exactly where you want then. it will also perform much better if you have plenty of plants in the scene opposed to the deformer solution.

• Topic Author
  • Aha. I'm using jiggle with a wind force, not a wind deformer, does that still apply?

Could have sworn I'd used a single wind force on multiple objects in the past with results per object based on location, but maybe I'm hallucinating or the context was different.

Anyhow, thanks, I'll try with hair — probably should have done that to start.

48 minutes ago, znich said:

Aha. I'm using jiggle with a wind force, not a wind deformer, does that still apply?

Could have sworn I'd used a single wind force on multiple objects in the past with results results per object based location, but maybe I'm hallucinating or the context was different.

Anyhow, thanks, I'll try with hair — probably should have done that to start.

ah, sorry, must have misread that... never tried a force on a jiggle, so no idea tbh...

3 hours ago, znich said:

Could have sworn I'd used a single wind force on multiple objects in the past with results per object based on location, but maybe I'm hallucinating or the context was different.

No, the particle force wind is Global, but the wind deformer isn't, so would apply identically to multiple objects.

In the setup below we have 3 separate jiggle deformers, all using the same particle wind force, which as you can see, affects them all differently.

980501733_pforcewindjiggle.thumb.gif.ea13c8c13e3b31b498d484d42180ed5d.gif

Lastly I  should check you know that unlike most deformers, you can't use a single Jiggle deformer on a group - they only work properly as a direct child of a single object, so if you have multiple objects, you need multiple jiggles. Likewise they can't be cloned or instanced either unless you have multiple source objects in the cloner, or make your instances editable polygon copies.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi Cerbera,

Yes, sorry, I meant particle force wind, not wind deformer. I do have the setup you are mentioning and was getting entirely uniform results per object, though I just pasted everything into a new project and now there is variation per object like your gif. Must be a bug?