Sign in to follow this  
Bhavana

IK rigging a multi axis robotic arm

Good evening/afternoon/morning folks: I have a few, related, questions about IK rigging a robotic arm. I've created an example file with my exact questions for any of you: brave, bored, experienced or generous enough to have a look. The crux of my challenge is multi-axis and rotation constraints. I've looked, closely, at most online tuts, to no avail. Thanks a ton, in advance for having a look.

IK_Reference_for_Questions.c4d

Edited by Cerbera
Removed formatting

• Topic Author
  • One correction: in my previous post, the annotation I added to the .c4d file says 'restriction' rather than 'protection' tag. I have tried to use 'protection' tags not restriction.

protection tags in these kind of setups are usually a bit problematic. this question has popped up 2 times last week, did you take a look at the other threads here? 

dissecting the file at the very end of this thread should point you in the right direction. 

• Topic Author
  • Hey @everfresh, Vialen Dank für ihren Blick. I will review this thread and look in the file here first this this morning.

• Topic Author
  • @everfreshOne more comment: the way I'm looking at it is no one seems to address having joints or bones along adjacent or parallel axes - am I thinking about this correctly?

If you want a joint to rotate along one axis ONLY, the solution is an Up constraint WITHOUT an aim constraint. Get the axis right & it will rotate round just one axis towards the target object.

Here's a quick example file I made, maybe it's useful for your purposes:

Robot Arm.c4d