Hi all

Im having a little problem with something I know ive used in the past but am having all sorts of problems with now, the surface deformer. Im trying to clone an object over a rounded shape and im attaching my file. Its just not doing what I want. I need to try and and space out a set of steps around a bottle but cant attach that actual file so am putting this one up instead which is where ive been trying to address the problem.

Hope someone can help me with this as going round the bend.

Thanks

Lang

surface deformer prob.c4d

I don't understand why you are trying to use a surface deformer for this. I can't see how that has any application here.

Why not just clone the objects into a radial array, or along a circle spline, which would make them do what you want (if I understand that correctly, and not sure I do !) ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Yeah I dont think the file I uploaded was a very representation of what I need. Basically the clones I need are to follow a shape thats not perfectly round or straight and also tapers off towards the edges. Its for a glass bottle and will be on the sides so I have also tried using a displacement and playing with the UV's to get even but its still not doing what I want. Its quite a simple shape that I need to put on the side and its a step pattern which is why I thought that maybe the surface deformer would be ideal.

Have a look at the attached if you have time and let me know what you think would be best.

Thanks

Lang

bottle and def.zip

Oh OK, I sort of get your thinking 🙂 Have you got a photo or any other reference of the thing you're trying to make at all ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Have a look at the attached for ref.

Thanks

Lang

Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 12.06.24 2.png

Excellent - now I can see what we're trying to do 🙂

This is a glass bottle right ? If so, my first question would be 'why aren't we modelling the ridges directly into the main mesh ?', which is is the only solution that will look right in the render if this is made of glass. You can't use a boole AND subdivision so couldn't do it that way, so without modelling, curious to know how you were planning to combine your clones with the main mesh without that looking 'plonked on' in the render ? The only other way I can think of would involve the Volume builder, which you don't have if your profile info is correct...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Its glass alright. My first thought was to use a displacement as thats so much easier than trying to model everything when time is a restraint. I wouldn't try and use a boole either but thought i could get away with using the surface deformer as the render is probably just going to be front on so probably wouldn't notice the fact that its just stuck on the sides. I think I may go back to building it again but just layering it up and then extruding out the sides so its all part of one unit. Such a simple bottle shape too but giving me a bit of a headache.

Yeah my profile is correct as dont have R20.

Thanks

Lang

Displacement is certainly an option, but I rather like the challenge of modelling it, so I'll tell you how to do that 🙂

You could use the steps I am going to describe either as the basis for your actual model, or just to give you the conforming ridges to treat separately...

So I started with this, which I made from a plane and a bend deformer...

1061991628_RidgeBottlesetup1a.thumb.jpg.a411f77a06d6914d9e6906d3d84147f3.jpg

That got symmetried, cloned straight up, and placed inside a Connect, which I rotated to match the curvature of the bottle...

Then that went in a group null, and a further bend was applied to get the curve at the top, like so...

336503828_RidgeBottlesetup1.thumb.jpg.30d55c30ba21ac8f0d0209b59902dd18.jpg

This exactly matches the reference, so is a good starting point for either approach I'd say.

829025662_RidgeBottlesetup1b.thumb.jpg.4379ef5f0d63b04c3ca3b9abfbfa1a27.jpg

If you're doing it as separates, you don't need the outer rim, just the 'bump', whereas if basing your whole model on this you would use it as is with the surrounding wall intact. Next step would be taking an editable copy of this, symmetrying it across to the other side before  bridging polys to the center line, giving you mesh you can continue to model into the final form, which shouldn't be too tricky, though would require some careful loop planning in the Y direction...

Does that makes sense ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks CBR

Lol 😀 thats so funny, thats almost exactly what I started to do myself although I like your method here.

The only problem Im having now is that ive got so many subdivisions going round and I need to do that slight imprint at the front which I would've thought would be a simple process too but I really could do with removing or dissolving some edges to give myself some space.

Thanks again

Lang

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

What do you reckon to this? As you mentioned in your last message I think you're right about the Y direction loop planning. Normally this stuff doesnt normally do my head in but some reason this one is 😉

You can see that there is an area on the front thats slightly indented and therefore giving a slight sharper ridge above. In my original model where I just dealt with the side areas as a displacement although was having all sorts of UV problems with that, it was much easier  as I didn't have so many subdivisions. Now I have the side extrusions popping out the edges go all the way round. Im not sure at this stage whether to just go back to using the displacement. Any thoughts of help on this one as having severe brain block.

Thanks

Lang

Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 17.10.44.png

2 minutes ago, Langley said:

What do you reckon to this?

Well it's lovely and even and all that, but it's not useful topology for making that center divot 🙂

Hang on, I am still thinking about what is the ideal edge flow here...

CBR

Yeah, I think it's something more like this...

1530878948_RidgeBottletopo.thumb.jpg.b05fe05acfcadfd338d77ac906e1444f.jpg

I think at this sort of poly density we'd be needing an FFD to shape it now...

CBR