Sign in to follow this  
Spencer Fanuka

Rigid body dynamics exploding

Hey yall,

So I'm trying to have these two sets of cloned cubes place onto planes interact with each other through rigid dynamics with a plain effector sliding through them. However, On the initially frames the cubes start exploding outwards. I have looked for answers everywhere, and had no luck. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nanoid V2.c4d

Can't open a C4D file at the moment. But if an object with dynamics explode in the first frame, the reason is most likely the objects are overlapping.
They should be adequately spaced out. 

I can open your file, and Ben was right - you have tons of intersecting clones at the start of the animation. But even if you solve that problem, a lot of the 2nd set of clones are also  intersecting with Plane 2, which is also a dynamic collider, so has the same effect, stuff explodes upwards.  Might be time to rethink the entire setup...

Hard to advise how you should do that -  even though I have seen the scene file I still have no real idea what are you are trying to make or what the final effect should be ! 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I can open your file, and Ben was right - you have tons of intersecting clones at the start of the animation. But even if you solve that problem, a lot of the 2nd set of clones are also  intersecting with Plane 2, which is also a dynamic collider, so has the same effect, stuff explodes upwards.  Might be time to rethink the entire setup...

Hard to advise how you should do that -  even though I have seen the scene file I still have no real idea what are you are trying to make or what the final effect should be ! 

CBR

10 hours ago, bentraje said:

Can't open a C4D file at the moment. But if an object with dynamics explode in the first frame, the reason is most likely the objects are overlapping.
    They should be adequately spaced out. 

Ok. So I just have to make sure none of the clones from either plane intersect at frame 1?

RE: So I just have to make sure none of the clones from either plane intersect at frame 1?

That's only half the truth. The other half is that "actual dynamic presentation" of the object should not intersect. 
    More often than not they are not the same, by default. You need to set them. Checkout Dynamics Tag> Collision>Shape

For instance, if you have a sphere, the default dynamic representation would be a cube. Actually, everything is cube by default. Hahaha

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, bentraje said:

RE: So I just have to make sure none of the clones from either plane intersect at frame 1?

That's only half the truth. The other half is that "actual dynamic presentation" of the object should not intersect. 
    More often than not they are not the same, by default. You need to set them. Checkout Dynamics Tag> Collision>Shape

For instance, if you have a sphere, the default dynamic representation would be a cube. Actually, everything is cube by default. Hahaha

Ok. It seems I have to do quite a bit more research. Thanks for the help.

• Topic Author
  • If anyone happens to come across this thread in the future, I fixed the exploding by setting the first keyframe of the follow poisiton parameter to 10, then the second keyframe of the same parameter to 0. 

• Topic Author
  • Also, changing the segments of my plane to 1 and 1 worked even better. I don't know why and this may come back to bite me so use at your own discretion.

19 hours ago, bentraje said:

Are you sure about that ? Here's 2 identical honeycomb cloners of spheres, one has collision auto (default) the other box. One set explodes...

auto v box.c4d

Honeycomb math 😀

643076095_honeycombmath.png.55f0dd330cebca6eed30c2f90818a6df.png