Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys,

everytime i open Pinterest i am overwhelmed by the amount of amazing 3d art i see! I wanted to see based on your expertise, is the attached below called "Low Poly Modeling"? I tried to search on youtube but i couldnt find any tutorial that does these kinds of shapes.. Is anyone familiar with a tutorial or resources that are specific to this kind of art?

Screen_Shot_2019-09-07_at_10_28.17_PM.thumb.png.bef41435bee2455fb4d4f7c77e61de7b.png

Thanks

Learning the key basics on polygon modelling would be where to start. The above image shows a combination within the same style but some are more complex than others, while some are merely modified primitive shapes such as tubes for legs and arms, applying a deformer to them like a taper, or bend deformer, or even rigging them.  Your best bet is to pick a project so as to be more specific on your goals, and then come back and show us.  We can then show you some methods to attain the basic shapes.  When your find is appealing is not just the model, but other attained skills in action such as composition, lighting, colour choices and chalk like materials.  If done right you could make something very simple look complex yet appealing.

Dan

I'd call it simple more than low poly.  It's lacking a lot of high detailed textures that would complicate the image.  Sometimes less is more.

18 hours ago, AlexisB said:

is the attached below called "Low Poly Modeling"?

No. 

The term 'low-poly' is used to describe a few different things / different types of model in common 3D parlance...

1. Meshes designed for a game engine where low polygon count is crucial to performance. These meshes are usually 100% triangles and no subdivision, though that tends to be the case more historically, as game engines and hardware now don't impose quite the same limitations they used to, as technology improves.

2. Meshes involved in a sculpt or other retopology process that also have a high poly variant, where the term is used simply to distinguish between the 2 model versions.

3. Models in scenes that that are artistically or stylistically designed to use not enough polygons to describe the forms, and there are (usually) no phong tags (which reveals the faceting, and contributes to a 'low-poly' look)

So, if that is the case none of the pics above would be called 'low-poly' because they don't match any of the above criteria. These models are all silky smooth and non-faceted, so the term doesn't really apply here. As others have mentioned, I too would describe these as being 'primitive / deformer-based modelling', ie mostly very simplistic / easy to make, but don't use any special techniques other than a bit of basic poly (or SDS) modelling and what can be achieved with deformers etc...

CBR