Sign in to follow this  
ingvarai

How to get back the R13-R20 GUI look?

I just remember that in the past when I've copied pref files from old releases to new releases I've had some problems which, I was told, led to crashing, so I decided to stop and just redo whatever I could or what I thought was necessary… which also led me to the opinion that the less you mess with the default settings the better (true for any app IMO). It's not a bad practice anyway as it makes you re-assess what junk you wanna keep etc, bit like a refresh or a clean out!

Yeah, I noticed that the R20 shortcut table file was a lot different to R21, so again I just took the view that it's best not mess with it and instead just spend an hour or two reinserting my most obvious shortcuts.

• Topic Author
  • Yep. But what I have done, is only the same as using the preferences editor inside C4D. When you use the preferences editor, you change entries in a text file (the dark.col file). Copying it over from R20 to R21 as a start, before I fine tune it in R21, is just for time saving purposes. Nothing dangerous here. 
    And for me, it was worth it. Pity that C4D doesn't have a Classic option for the color scheme. Which Windows has had since 1792, the French revolution.

-Ingvar

6 hours ago, Cairyn said:

Well... search for a file named interface_icons_2x.tif in your installation directory and see for yourself. No vector based icons here.

If they were future proofing the icons for high res they should have made them vectors.  Guess doing things wrong is the way of the new MAXON. 

Good news is if they are from that image file it should be easy to replace them with the old icons.  Take the old icons image file from R20 and replace it.

11 hours ago, benek said:

I just remember that in the past when I've copied pref files from old releases to new releases I've had some problems which, I was told, led to crashing, so I decided to stop and just redo whatever I could or what I thought was necessary… which also led me to the opinion that the less you mess with the default settings the better (true for any app IMO).

There was indeed a version in the past (I think it was R15) where the external prefs files were changed so much that it was necessary to start over. Since then I had no issues.

It is true that it is a good practice to reassess one's workflow every now and then, though.

My personal keyboard shortcuts are systematically ordered - the built-in ones have (partially) nothing to do with the names of the functions they represent. Due to the limited numbers of physical keys, I get a lot of multi-key-shortcuts, like S~P for Select Path or M~K~E for edge cut (modeling-knife-edge). The more functions I wish to put on keys, the less logical it gets (Q as first key for... quick?) so I am thinking about replacing a number of these by custom popup menus or simply by the "circular" menu. But I can see myself overdoing it again... 😁

10 hours ago, Fastbee said:

If they were future proofing the icons for high res they should have made them vectors.  Guess doing things wrong is the way of the new MAXON. 

Good news is if they are from that image file it should be easy to replace them with the old icons.  Take the old icons image file from R20 and replace it.

I'm actually not so sure about the vector thing. Vectors are great if you want to size things up. If you need to restrict yourself to a few pixels, as icons on normal monitors tend to be, and at the same time have fine recurring structures to display, like linework or letters, vectors alone can leave you with lines that are antialiased to invisibility, ugly pixel-aligning artifacts, and rounding issues in the placement of similar structures. Fonts, for example, require a number of "hints" in addition to their vectors to ensure that the stems of letters are the same width, that line weights don't jump around, and so on. The effort needed to create icons that way is considerable.

BTW, you should not just take the icon file and replace it with an older version - there will be all the new icons missing, and there is no guarantee that the icons are all in the same place. I have in the past changed the contrast of the whole sheet, and the colorization of some icons I found unpalatable, but I found taking old icon files being pretty problematic.

22 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

The more functions I wish to put on keys, the less logical it gets

Yes, so true!

I think something I've begun to do more is restrict my own shortcut keys to my most essential things and rely more on adding commands to context menus or my own custom palettes, or just tearing off relevant menus as and when I need those commands. Something I'm trying to use more is the Commander as another method to keep my UI workspace clean.

9 hours ago, Cairyn said:

I'm actually not so sure about the vector thing. Vectors are great if you want to size things up. If you need to restrict yourself to a few pixels, as icons on normal monitors tend to be, and at the same time have fine recurring structures to display, like linework or letters, vectors alone can leave you with lines that are antialiased to invisibility, ugly pixel-aligning artifacts, and rounding issues in the placement of similar structures. Fonts, for example, require a number of "hints" in addition to their vectors to ensure that the stems of letters are the same width, that line weights don't jump around, and so on. The effort needed to create icons that way is considerable.

As you say it's possible.  Lots of work maybe, but possible.  As we all know from a lot of fonts we use everyday they do look good big and small.

They could have also had all the icons made from a 3D file.  Imagine being able to open up the 3D file with all the icons in it and being able to modify any as you wish in 3D then hitting render at any resolution to get the new image map.  This would have been a second way to future proof the icons and make everyone happy.  They chose a third way.

If we ask nicely for the photoshop file with all the icons maybe they will give it to us.

@ingvarai thanks for the dark.col file 😀

Last time I tried tweaking the GUI colors it didn't end well...

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, jed said:

@ingvarai thanks for the dark.col file 😀

Last time I tried tweaking the GUI colors it didn't end well...

Your welcome!
    I spent several hours (in fact a whole day) to make C4D R1 usable for me. I just could not work in the new dark environment. Strange  that they didn't provide us with a "classic" option for the GUI, in R21 Preferences.
    I am a programmer, and make user interfaces all the time. And I am super-critical when I use software, and especially software with a bad GUI appearance and / or illogical way of doing things. In Cinema 4D I always felt like at home. I have always loved the user interface, both the very nice harmonic colors, and the very logical workflow, the logical way of doing things. R21 was the first time C4D did not appeal to me. Now it does, having tweaked the GUI colors, as close to the previous versions as possible. 

-Ingvar