Sign in to follow this  
paulselhi

Poor Renders

1 hour ago, Mithril said:

6900K, 128gb ram, RTX 2080ti, R21,  denoise yes.. but I don't care about turning it off, as my purpose wasn't to make the best image (it was a quickie after all) It was to check if prorender is slow or not. It isn't. Cycles is faster.. that's true, but when you get decent results in the 2min range.. it becomes less of an issue. Edit: removed nonsensical chatter.. not a topic worth my time anyway.

If you had a 7 minute animation with 10,080 frames 2 minutes per frame with SlowRender instead of 6 seconds per frame with Cycles would mean waiting 14 days with SlowRender or 16 hours with Cycles.  It makes a huge difference.

Last time I had a client say decent results are fine was . . . never.

• Topic Author
  • If it's "good enough"..it isn't

On 9/12/2019 at 11:03 PM, Fastbee said:

If you had a 7 minute animation with 10,080 frames 2 minutes per frame with SlowRender instead of 6 seconds per frame with Cycles would mean waiting 14 days with SlowRender or 16 hours with Cycles.  It makes a huge difference.

Last time I had a client say decent results are fine was . . . never.

If you're rendering 10k frames.. you'd probably (or rather should) be using a renderfarm. And you'd presumably be doing some sort of media work. May it be tv, movies, games, commercials, sports etc.. You'd have the resources you'll need at your disposal. So the math you're giving me doesn't mean much to me. It depends on resources, time available and money, those things will ultimately decide how the job is done.. and the quality I could be expected to deliver.

And I got "fine, I have no arguments" response this very day... so again.. just because you'd never get that response.. doesn't mean others haven't. Don't use your experience as a model applicable to everyone else. Because that is most certainly never true.

But in any case... personally I'd probably primarily be looking at using my Octane renderer for that job. Or V-Ray if it is more demanding.

In comparison to every other gpu render engine, or to 95% of them, to say, ProRender is (much) slower, and not yet completely production ready. And since MAXON acquires Redshift, I would say that their development focus will be towards Redshift as primary/main render engine, with ProRender as second choice, especially for AMD gpus, and Physical/Standard render engine for cpus.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:47 AM, paulselhi said:

The staircase02  content browser scene file !! What a peeved poor render !! Why include that if the result is a useless grainy image ? Cannot upload the tif only a jpg but the result is the same.

Staircase - Room 02.jpg

Typically, the default render preset has been created to quickly render a scene file. 
    The focus is speed, not image quality.

From memory, this particular scene file offers a few render presets. Choose one of the higher presets.