Sign in to follow this  
Bill Borez

Point cloud render

Not even sure if this is even in the correct forum topic but here goes.

OK, I've motion tracked a video and turned it into a point cloud but I can't for the life of me work out how render out the point cloud.

151463573_ScreenShot2019-09-08at09_41_23.thumb.png.5cc82269ffd2e07e73c096920ffeb8ac.png1553267581_ScreenShot2019-09-08at10_21_19.png.0930707c3a9641e7ecae8a685a716e0b.png

What I've tried is a mograph matrix and then selected object and thinking particles and thrown the scene point cloud into the object

1148793829_ScreenShot2019-09-08at10_20_30.thumb.png.c4abf5f74460473f46d72e13f3915c4a.png

Which from there I would turn into particle dots, throw on a hair renderer and work it from there. But I get no representation of the point cloud particles on screen. I've messed around with every variation  of views ( red dots/green dots ) but I get nothing.

I'm absolutely stumped, anyone have any insight into why I'm not seeing the point cloud as particles?

Have you seen all this info here in the manual, which tells you how to generate a mesh from your point cloud ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 28 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Have you seen all this info here in the manual, which tells you how to generate a mesh from your point cloud ?

CBR

Thanks I've read into that. Not sure if it's a mesh I'm after though as I don't want a total reconstruction, I'm after a kind of bitcrushed look and I already have the points for this, the thing is I can't get them to render out the way they are.

I'll try a mesh though, and see if I can get that to render. I can always delete bits I guess.

Oh OK I get ya...

What about cloning tiny luminant spheres directly onto every point in the cloud (using object/vertex mode) ? I've never tried that myself, but I reckon it might work...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Turning it to vertex mode just crashed my machine.

So frustrating, it should see it with a matrix object and thinking particles but I just get nothing.  It must be something in the point cloud I'm missing.

The mesh is interesting BTW and renders,  it's just not the look I want.

• Topic Author
  • Got it, created particle geometry, a hair object and and a render and there it was.

Next problem. How do I get the hair material to inherit  the colours of the point cloud?