Sign in to follow this  
Fastbee

Scattering objects in C4D

I saw this today for Blender. 

https://blenderartists.org/t/scatter/1177672

I really like the way it works because Unreal Engine has a similar way of distributing instances on the landscape.  I think I could use the same painted map in Unreal.

It is also nice having the colors for the different objects because plants will grow in groups in real life.  Mograph is great for changing the motion of objects, but scattering options are limited.  Same with hair and xparticles.  I found the plugins SurfaceSpread and Scatter it!.  Scatter it! seems to be the closest, but still it doesn't have the colors that can be painted.  It seems more like throw the objects in there and they are all randomized.

I was thinking next best thing would be to use the Nitro4D plugin NitroDraw, but thought I would see what others have found.

Anyone know of a easy way or plugin that can be used with C4D to paint foliage in the same way the Blender plugin works?

I do have some ideas how we could possibly do this (or something broadly similar) in C4D without any plugins.  For example, a blank hair object is a beautiful thing, into which you can just paint guides. So if you are using hair instancing you should be able to paint instanced plants in where you want them and then use hair's rather excellent randomisation / variation parameters to add as much of that as you need. Then you could switch to a different hair object, with different instances, and go about painting that over the top (both would be visible in the VP), repeating as needed. I appreciate this doesn't give you maps at the end of the day, but it is a practical way to paint in vegetation.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera  It's a good idea.  What I was thinking was to paint the map them separate all the colors into black and white to be used as a map for xparticles.  Do a burst mode in xp using the black and white and it should work the same.  Changing the colors to b&w is a bit of a hassle, but sometimes you have to do special things to bend the program to your will.

What really struck me with this is the realization that Mograph, for being so great, has huge limitations on the way it's going to distribute those objects.