Sign in to follow this  
Hayley Mickleburgh

Mixamorigged character: how to position?

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to C4D, and have gotten stuck trying to create a character who I want to pose in a particular position. I created the (human) character and rigged it in Mixamo. I'm not looking to animate the character, I just want him lying down on his side in a particular scene of an animation I'm working on. When I import the .fbx in C4D I am able to position the body without problem, but when I then try to do anything else, the character reverts to T position... Clearly I am unaware of something super basic but crucial in the workflow, but for the life of me I can't find what the reason for this is...

Help is much appreciated (frustration levels through the roof, hahaha)!

Hayley

Hi

When you bring in a rigged character into C4D  it can have keys added, which Mixamo rig would have for the T pose Im thinking.  The keys are seen in the timeline at the bottom of the UI as small block to the far left, the beginning of a animation. When you then pose a character that already has keys added without putting down new keys (F9 key) for them joints then it will revert to the keys already in place.  You can either delete the keys there in the timeline, or pose the joints then set new keys in place of the keys already there.  If this is not the issue come back and I can help you further to sort this out.  The thing here i what els it is your doing before it reverts back?

PS: If you middle mouse click on the hips joint it will select all child joints then you can add a key for all of them at once.  This way you can pose the whole character then select all joints, press F9 key and it will hold the pose.  I always recommend selecting all joints and making sure they are frozen with the (Freeze All) command from the coords menu from the bottom of the object manager to the right of the UI.  This way when you wish to reset to the original pose with ease using the PSR command..

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Hi Rectro!

Thank you soooo much, this seems to be the solution! I have kept the original keys and added keys for the new pose. like you suggested. 

Now I have run into the following: I had made a tunic for the character (cloth tag on the tunic, cloth collider on the body of the character, and fitted using the dress-o-matic). When I move the body the tunic does not follow, even though I have used the cloth belt along the seams. And even when I 're-fit' the tunic to the body using the dress-o-matic.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Hayley

Hi

You may want to follow this tutorial.  It could be the case of the good old Priorities, but follow this video close and see if you missed any steps.  I dont know of anyone that uses Cloth for clothing wthin C4D, its not that clever to be honest.  I like most opt for Marvellous Designer, its the ideal and fast solution for character clothing.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Dan, that's the one I used indeed. I know it's unconventional, but I figured since the character doesn't need to move (just lie down dead on his side), I could make the tunic this way.  It's for a part of my final assignment for a 3D producer MAXON certified course, so I'm not supposed to use paid plugins or 3rd party software.

Here's a quick screen grab of the basic tunic shape and the position I want him in (but no tunic...) 

Cheers,

Hayley

Male_tunic.jpg

Male_side.jpg

As its a certified course didn't they cover this in the training?   I never had much luck with dress o matic, I tired it a few times, asked about it and was told to just go Marvelous Designer.As its a still maybe just use the sculpting tools, I could fit that around him in a few min using the move brush.  Send me the file and il get it into position for you.  You could then try soft body to simulate it from that rest position or using the sculpting tools.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Hi Dan! Character rigging, creation etc. is not really a part of the course, although the use of simulation tags is of course. 

I tried to message you the file but C4D cafe claims I can't send messages since my inbox is full (but I have only one welcome message in there)... even zipped the file is too large to upload here. Can I get it to you another way?

Cheers,

Hayley

14 minutes ago, Hayley Mickleburgh said:

Hi Dan! Character rigging, creation etc. is not really a part of the course, although the use of simulation tags is of course. 

I tried to message you the file but C4D cafe claims I can't send messages since my inbox is full (but I have only one welcome message in there)... even zipped the file is too large to upload here. Can I get it to you another way?

Cheers,

Hayley

Yes you can upload it to dropbox, then share the file with training at daniel-ripley.co.uk

Dan

Hello

I didnt receive a email, maybe try manually sending me the link generated?

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Haha, well the universe definitely seems to be against me on this one. I'm just going to post the link here since C4D cafe is buggy and won't let me send it to you via message:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjuu3xelflyxhpz/Male_V01_P19.c4d?dl=0

Thank you!

Thanks, got the file.  You can take link down now if you like.  Its always best to pose a character laying down with a floor in place as your find limbs will not all align up with the surface once added, I will fix this for you by adjusting the pose as the hands go through the floor.  Also I noticed once floor added that his head is not on anything, in mid air, so if he is dead and limp then his head will need adjusting also, if not you may wanna add a cushion under his head.

If you send me a PM with your email Il send you a link with it in a better shape for you to continue on.

Dan

floor contact.png