Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Beefdoctor

R21, The good, the bad and the ugly

Recommended Posts

Application Activity is completely anonymized. When we introduced this a couple of years ago we went through great lengths to comply to european law and as a result we don't have a clue at all what person is behind the collected data. To the point that if someone would invoke their right of information on stored data we can not comply, since only the user can do this via the Web Data button.

On the other hand the collected data is an important source of knowledge to us on how Cinema 4D is used. Design and Development rely on this kind of information to do a good job. By allowing us to get this data you are actively helping making Cinema 4D a better application.

Noone is forced to agree to this data collection, there are no repercussions at all if you switch it off, except maybe that we have a less well defined idea on how we can make Cinema 4D better.

So thank you to everyone who participates, this is much appreciated!

 

Share this post


Link to post

I would have joined had I known it was on, just seen this post today.  Hope it went well.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fastbee said:

Even if you can turn it off in the settings the fact that you are forced to agree to it means they can legally do whatever they want even if you uncheck the box in the preferences.

 

Does "Disable" mean you are disabling being anonymous or disabling the Anonymised Application Activity monitor?

it‘s called DSGVO, which means Datenschutzgrundverordnung ( i know, long word) in german, a relatively new law where EVERY company that collects data of their customer of any kind ( an email address already  is enough) HAS to ask that question and the customer has to give permission. so if MAXON wouldn‘t ask that question, they would be facing serious legal issues. violation fees for companies that big can be quite high, so they would be stupid NOT to ask that question. that law was made to protect the rights of individuals, mainly aiming at big companies like facebook and so on that used their customers data for whatever they wanted without their consent. the problem with this law is, that EVERYONE who runs a business now has to follow those rules, meaning even freelancers had to update their websites and put quite long legal disclaimers and checkboxes on their websites. i hope that clears things up. there’s really nothing MAXON can do about this without breaking the law.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Beefdoctor said:

Thanks buddy, I just hope that I didn't ramble too much, it was really late and I was shooting from the hip. I also really hope that it didn't upset anyone at MAXON, that wasn't the intention, and I know those guys work really hard. The software is still as solid as it ever was, I just think the new sub model is a bit of a turn off for some users. 

It was a good open discussion on the pricing changes, some features and how they might impact different people from differing backgrounds. Much more clarity than trying to scan through posts and tidbits of information on the web. 

 

Your response to the guy reporting the error only cracked versions get was golden 😂

 

I was just online for an hour or so of it so unless you went shooting crazy from the hip after that 🤪. I don't think there was anything anyone would be upset about 👍

 

Will watch the remainder over the weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/12/2019 at 11:16 PM, srek said:

Application Activity is completely anonymized. When we introduced this a couple of years ago we went through great lengths to comply to european law and as a result we don't have a clue at all what person is behind the collected data. To the point that if someone would invoke their right of information on stored data we can not comply, since only the user can do this via the Web Data button.

On the other hand the collected data is an important source of knowledge to us on how Cinema 4D is used. Design and Development rely on this kind of information to do a good job. By allowing us to get this data you are actively helping making Cinema 4D a better application.

Noone is forced to agree to this data collection, there are no repercussions at all if you switch it off, except maybe that we have a less well defined idea on how we can make Cinema 4D better.

So thank you to everyone who participates, this is much appreciated!

 

This does make me feel better.  If you would add "Disable Data Collection" instead of just Disable next to the check box it would clear things up.  As is it's confusing. 

I make games as a hobby and find you can look at all the data in the world and not know what the user really wants.  I find the best way to make a great product is to think, "what would I love from this?" and do that.  Users end up liking the product better that way.

 

On 9/13/2019 at 12:27 AM, everfresh said:

it‘s called DSGVO, which means Datenschutzgrundverordnung ( i know, long word) in german, a relatively new law where EVERY company that collects data of their customer of any kind ( an email address already  is enough) HAS to ask that question and the customer has to give permission. so if MAXON wouldn‘t ask that question, they would be facing serious legal issues. violation fees for companies that big can be quite high, so they would be stupid NOT to ask that question. that law was made to protect the rights of individuals, mainly aiming at big companies like facebook and so on that used their customers data for whatever they wanted without their consent. the problem with this law is, that EVERYONE who runs a business now has to follow those rules, meaning even freelancers had to update their websites and put quite long legal disclaimers and checkboxes on their websites. i hope that clears things up. there’s really nothing MAXON can do about this without breaking the law.

Sounds like I have the legal system to blame.  They don't differentiate between collecting a email address and hording all the data they can on a person.  There should be something in the way the contract can be written by the company to differentiate.  If, only collecting an email address and name, they could say we only will collect and keep your name and email address.  Having everything together with almost nothing is not good.

Share this post


Link to post

These are two separate issues. The Application Activity is something 100% separated from customer data, thus the full anonymization. These two things are internally handled on two separate platforms, there is no way for us to connect one with the other.

Customer data by its definition can not be anonymous. DSGVO and the international equivalents restrict the collection and use of customer data to the point that only data relevant to the service we give is allowed to be stored. I.e. we are not allowed to ask for your marriage status or similar, that has no relevance at all to our business relation to you. With data we are allowed to collect there come clear restrictions on what we can do with it. While we can e-mail you on business matters, we can not e-mail you to lets say promote a third party item or even give your e-mail to third parties. Anything beyond direct business relations has to be approved by you. You will find a very ugly example on this kind of requests for approval in basically all social media platform eulas.

Privacy and data protection laws are something we take extremely serious.

Share this post


Link to post

For me R19 was and still is the best version. Does not crash often. R21 has serious stability at least when running on laptop nvidia graphics cards.

Any nvidia updates won´t fix any viewport crashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Admin
44 minutes ago, ahven said:

For me R19 was and still is the best version. Does not crash often. R21 has serious stability at least when running on laptop nvidia graphics cards.

Any nvidia updates won´t fix any viewport crashed.

If you have many Plugins that could be the case. On my side, I really dont use any plugin for Cinema and I didnt notice that much of a difference in stability in R21!

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Igor said:

If you have many Plugins that could be the case. On my side, I really dont use any plugin for Cinema and I didnt notice that much of a difference in stability in R21!

I did not use any plugins and run simple animated cube in viewport and it crashed. Nvidia 960M gfx card on a laptop.

With R19 there´s no problems like this.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

IMPORTANT INFO:

We are in the progress of finalising upgrade to Cafe 3.0. If you are experiencing issues, please change the default theme to Cafe 2.5 and thing’s should work again. We will notify everyone when we resolve all the issues.
 

It would be also great if you could report any issue you might have on your side so we can fix them. :cowboypistol: