James Dunbar

Radeon VII eGPU, iMac 2017 and ProRender

Hi

I'm posting this because finding benchmarks for ProRender performance on a Mac with eGPU (Razer Core X + Radeon VII) is like finding hens teeth. Anyway, I took the plunge and added a Radeon VII to my 2017 iMac. Did some quick comparisons between the internal GPU (Radeon Pro 580) and the Radeon VII with the same 1920x1080 render. I thought the performance boost was amazing!

Radeon Pro 580 (Metal) render time: 2:40

Radeon VII (Metal) render time: 1:15

Running both GPUs, the render time was 58 seconds.

Hope this is helpful for others. Hopefully it will get even better when Mac OS Catalina is released.

I did a test recently with my Titan X Maxwell and found that Cycles rendered the same scene 17.77x faster than ProRender.  This was without using ecycles or the up and coming RTX acceleration coming to cycles.  With those two combined Cycles would be 4x faster than it is now making 71.08x faster than ProRender.  This is why I like calling ProRender SlowRender.  No one uses SlowRender for anything because it's too slow.

Really wonder what's the point of even coming up with ProRender?

On 9/16/2019 at 2:37 AM, DSeow said:

Really wonder what's the point of even coming up with ProRender?

AMD came up with ProRender because at the time all GPU rendering was done with Nvidia and they wanted to show how good AMD video cards could render.  Now Cycles can use both AMD and Nvidia.  The Radeon VII actually currently runs cycles at about the same speed as the RTX 2080 ti.  This is without using ecycles or RTX acceleration.  With RTX the RTX Nvidia cards will be 2x faster than Radeon in Cycles and use way less power. 

Radeon VII does have 16GB of RAM.  That can be a plus if you have big scenes.  I've never got near the 12 gigs on my titan x though.