Sign in to follow this  
ingvarai

Subdivde selected object parts

When applying a Subdivision Surface, this excavator shovel becomes nicely rounded. Everywhere. But I want this to take part only on the  back side and a few other places in this case. 
If I remember correct, there was a way  to control the Subdivision effect by holding down the period key and dragging the mouse. Is this correct?
When using the Menu to do this, the selected polygons are subdivided all right. But no smoothing takes place. 
What I want is to learn how to do this, not to get this particular object smoothed.

ecavator-shovel.thumb.png.17117e58d3883d3521d2197beaa1ebd2.png

The C4D project is attached.

-Ingvar

excavatorshovel.c4d

It´s called SDS weight. You need select the "right one" edges. First rework geometry (in some parts SDS create crazy mesh "add-ons", in some part need to be less segmented (if you want to go this direction with SDS weight)

In attachment is weighted bottom part as example

excavatorshovel_0001.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Hi Bezo and thanks!
    Just what I was after. I just select the polygons I want to smooth out, the do an Invert, then apply the Set command.
    I wanted to smooth out just the edge of the shovel, and I achieved that. The SDS tag wasn't especially intuitive, I am at the  beginner's level when it comes to modelling. But now I've got it.

sds2.thumb.png.b2cc0186499138873fb146a364f95db1.png

-Ingvar

It's quite hard to use edge weighting in a way that doesn't cause some render artefacts somewhere. It is almost always preferable (in terms of result, if not time) to do it with control edges and not using SDS weighting at all if you can. Also worth noting that this weighting is not necessarily interpreted the same in all programs, so if this model is going anywhere else at any stage, that's another reason not to use it. If you must use it (for time reasons), then try and limit its area of influence by using some control loops as well. 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 14 hours ago, Cerbera said:

It's quite hard to use edge weighting in a way that doesn't cause some render artefacts somewhere.

I understand this! Thanks for the advice. I am a modelling beginner and will not grow out of this stage, I leave it to those who can. In this case I just needed a quick solution.

-Ingvar