Sign in to follow this  
arail

license on 2 computers is no longer?

Previously, my MSA allowed me to install Cinema on two computers.

I just downloaded and installed 21 on one computer and when I attempted to install it on my second computer I got a screen saying 1 used / 1 available

Is this correct?

You can now install on any number of machines.   You can use 1 concurrently and log in/out per machine.

Cheers

Dave

You can install R21 on as many computers as you like, but you have to log into your MyMaxon account to launch – and you can only be logged-in on one computer at a time… So when you start C4D, you can release your license if it's already being taken by another computer because you've forgotten to release it, otherwise if you know you're going to need it elsewhere, choose the Quit and Free License option in the Cinema 4D menu …

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the reply. Kind of complicated but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

It's not a big deal, but I have accidentally done the wrong quit several times and had to go back, log in and out on desktop while going back and forth with laptop. I'm just curious why "quit and sign out of license" isn't the only option. If there isn't a limit per month or anything, maybe it makes closing down slower?

9 hours ago, connartist said:

It's not a big deal, but I have accidentally done the wrong quit several times and had to go back, log in and out on desktop while going back and forth with laptop. I'm just curious why "quit and sign out of license" isn't the only option. If there isn't a limit per month or anything, maybe it makes closing down slower?

You don't need to fire up the other computer again to log out of the license, you can do that over the internet on the MyMaxon site. There you can release any license currently assigned to a machine, even if that machine is switched off.

You don't want to log out of the license automatically because what would happen if you are just working with one machine, and the next time you wish to start C4D the internet is down? Then you are logged out of the license, and C4D cannot retrieve the license from MAXON due to a missing connection, and won't start. It makes sense that C4D can start on the last-used machine again for a while before requiring a new game of fetch-the-license.

Of course if you are constantly switching between two installations, it might be practical to use the quit-and-release-license button all the time. If you want that, you can reconfigure your user interface so the normal quit shortcut points to the quit-and-release function, and the normal quit menu is located somewhere else lest it be triggered accidentally. Then you just have to avoid using the Windows X button (because you cannot reconfigure that...).

Oh by the way, I do wonder how some fringe (or not-so-fringe) cases are handled. Let's assume I have a desktop at the office, and a laptop for home, and I have a C4D installation on both. Now after working a while on the laptop, I forget the laptop at home when I go to the office, and use MyMaxon to unlock the laptop license to start work on the desktop. So far, so good.

Now, I fire up an overnight render at the office and go home. There, I start the laptop, and...

...would C4D start? The laptop still has the license for 14 days, and is not automatically aware that the desktop stole the license under him. According to what we've been told, C4D only checks the license every 14 days. The laptop installation would not see a need to check the license; unless of course C4D checks the license on every start and notices that the license is gone, which is the opposite of what we know atm.

...Even if C4D checks, the laptop may not have internet at the time, and therefore cannot check, and must rely on the 14 days of remaining license time. Thus, C4D would start, parallel to the still-running desktop who actually has the license now.

Now that we (intentionally or accidentally) tricked the laptop into starting a second installation in parallel...

...would MAXON notice? Once we switch off the laptop, and return to the office, and keep working with the desktop (who still rightfully retains the license) - the desktop would not see any need to complain, as it got the license fair and square, and anyways the laptop is offline now. Once the desktop is down for the night, and we return home and fire up the laptop... well, let's assume the laptop now wants to check its license, and everything is still fine because the desktop has released the license and it's available.

...MyMaxon could, theoretically, know that the desktop held the license all the time. But the laptop never connected to MyMaxon until now, and right now everything is apparently fine. MyMaxon doesn't know that the laptop was running in parallel.

Did we game the system? In theory, the laptop itself could now say...

...hey, I've been running on this license at a time when the license was actually taken away (I can see at MyMaxon what happened to the license last), now I'm going to tattle at MAXON and complain about a parallel use!

That would however require MyMaxon to actually store much more information than just "a license is right now available". It would need MyMaxon to remember when the last checkout of a license happened, and by which machine. No, more: it would need MyMaxon to remember every checkout forever, because I could release and reacquire the license several times on the desktop before ever using the laptop again, which would overwrite a single "last checkout" date. Plus, the laptop installation would need to store its runtime at least locally, and compare that against the retrieved information about license checkouts from MyMaxon.

Even so, the information would not be conclusive...

...the laptop can only tell that its license was stolen away at a certain time. It cannot tell whether the desktop installation was really active at the time when the laptop installation was fired up. I might have shut down the desktop already before returning home so all the usage would have been totally fine because nothing happened in parallel, and if the laptop would have seen the need to check out a license it would have worked all right but it didn't bother to check so it's C4D's fault anyway.

...which means the only way to discover parallel use of a license would be to log each and every start and end of C4D locally, and send that data to MyMaxon when a connection exists, so it can be compared in a centralized point. Naturally, MAXON cannot do that legally (or is it in the EULA? Did anybody read the EULA?); plus there is the issue of correct system times, time zones, uncontrolled aborts, sandbox usage, and other stuff that might falsify such usage lists. So we can assume that MAXON doesn't do that (or bothers to).

Just so we don't forget how complicated this licensing stuff really is...

The problem that I will run into regularly is a rendering license in the office (TR or DR) and me at home wanting to work. Strictly speaking, this is a violation of the license and therefor not possible. I think that this is something that should be possible but I will have fire up team render server and copy the stuff around everytime to avoid this. 

57 minutes ago, Jops said:

The problem that I will run into regularly is a rendering license in the office (TR or DR) and me at home wanting to work. Strictly speaking, this is a violation of the license and therefor not possible. I think that this is something that should be possible but I will have fire up team render server and copy the stuff around everytime to avoid this. 

Yes, you will have to use TeamRender to render in parallel, as it is its own license. But do you have to copy stuff around, at least manually? Can't the TRS use the same directories?

9 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Yes, you will have to use TeamRender to render in parallel, as it is its own license. But do you have to copy stuff around, at least manually? Can't the TRS use the same directories?

As far as I know TRS has a watchfolder. You copy a project with assets into that folder and start the rendering in the webiterface. When the rendering is finished you copy the results to the place you want them to be. Team render in picturefiewer uses the normal project folders, but team render server not (as far as i know). That means save with assets, start render, copy results, delete job.