Sign in to follow this  
Langley

Applying a UV to a curved label

Hi all

Im trying to apply a UV mesh to a label that will go onto a bottle neck. The original labels' cutter guide is curved so as to fit the shape correctly when physically applied but how would it best to get this into the correct UV? I have tried a couple of things and found some ok'ish tuts online but this is one I haven't really come across. Ive also tried using cylindrical projection just to see if I could get away with that, but no. Been playing around with UV's in bodypaint but I cant see anything obvious so hopefully someone out there with heaps of UV experience will be able to help or suggest a better way?

Thanks

Lang

neck label UV.zip

necker UV_0001.c4d

New UV Tranform tools is exactly for this kind of editing...Did you tried Demo?

Not sure if that need to be rounded or linear...

• Topic Author
  • Hi bezo

Is that a feature in R20/21 then? Will have to investigate if so.

As for trying to do it in R19, is there anyway to do it?

Thanks

Lang

3 hours ago, Langley said:

As for trying to do it in R19, is there anyway to do it?

Thanks

Lang

Yes, the Magnet tool, with the right radius settings could sort that out from where you are now, but it would be difficult to keep all the UV points even that way.
    So a better option would be to select all the top points of the UV and do 'Border to Circle' which will make a decent arch with them you can non-uniform negative scale so it matches the curve of your label. Repeat for the lower points separately and use 4,5,6 keys (move, uniform scale, rotate) to further adjust them until it's all lining up in the perspective viewport...

CBR 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks CBR

Thats a good idea I'll give that a go.

As for the transform tool now part of R20/21. Ive downloaded the demo now but cant see anything obvious so how would I go about using that? And would it be better for this?

Thanks

Lang

Hi,

For UV work I'm using 3D-Coat, great tool for uv unwrap and similar, you can give it a try ;).

Dane

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Dane

Will give that a look too 👍

Lang

1 hour ago, Langley said:

Ive downloaded the demo now but cant see anything obvious so how would I go about using that? And would it be better for this?

Yes it's definitely faster than the other ways. 

The icon for it looks like this image.png.16d5965cb406679f01dddeabffb1ed7a.png, and should appear with all the other UV shortcuts at the top of the UV texture panel in BP UV Layout.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Cheers CBR

Will have a look at that now.

Had a quick look at 3D coat and it does look really good but perhaps better for character UV unwrapping. Will download the demo though and have a thorough look later.

Lang

I recently had this same issue. It's not easy, because for label artwork even very small distortions in the UV mesh become very obvious.

My soloution was to make a straight version of the label. I then duplicated it and used a bend command to distort it to match the artwork file - made it editable - flat projected the AW onto it. Then used a pose morph to re-correct it back to the straight version while retaining the UVs of the bent version.

• Topic Author
  • Wow another interesting method there. Ive also played around with simply making the label straight and will probably get away with that as its a still render and not too close up either so think I'll get away with it. Ill be giving that a go though for sure as sounds like another good option. Have never really used the pose morph function so will check that out.

Thanks rfanoni.

Lang