Hi everyone,

Firstly thanks to the C4D Cafe for setting up this area to let us developers talk about our plugins. I may be making a few posts here about each new plugin I am working on to allow you to discuss them in each of their own threads.

I have been working on a new plugin for quad based remeshing based on the open source Quadriflow library. This is a C++ plugin directly including the library. It is currently single-threaded but will continue to work on it and add multi-threading support and also CUDA support for windows users. Here are a few gifs of the plugin in action. 

This is meshing a densely triangulate mesh on OSX. I am setting the resolution with the slider to tell the system approximately how many quads to create.

quadriflow_osx_screenshare.gif.9c57f42d7d0e3e2cf53ca74dd3b27941.gif

This gif is showing how you can use it to remesh a polygonal object while sculpting on it. Just press the quadriflow button and then keep on sculpting your model.

quadriflow.gif.58ff577073b39dfabb16529364e7e036.gif

The plugin is available now for R21 for both OSX and Windows as part of the Alpha Plugins tear on  Patreon

https://www.patreon.com/posts/quadriflow-29928483

And it is also available for the same price $10 as part of the Alpha plugins bundle from my store

https://www.plugins4d.com/quadriflow

• Topic Author
  • And finally this gif shows using Quadriflow, then the BFF (Boundary First Flattening) UV mapping plugin, and finally painting the model using the 4D Paint stencil painting brushes.

Quadriflow_BFF_Paint.gif

Man, you gotta stop putting those massive human eyes on everything -  I've had nightmares about those ! 🙂

But what a plugin ! Truly great work there Sir ! I am a definite customer for this one.

While I'm here though... thought I'd ask - is there any chance that this plugin could work a little bit more like Instant meshes, in that we could somehow use splines or guides or something else to direct the general flow around key areas ? This would still be good without that, but having it would tip it over into being one of the most useful plugins ever !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • No you can't use splines to direct the flow in Quadriflow. But I was working in an integration of Instant Meshes about 3 years ago and might dig that back out and properly add it into R21.  Quadriflow is actually a modification of the original Instant Field-Aligned Meshes algorithm which is used in Instant Meshes, so it may be possible to bring across similar guide based workflows, but I would have to dig into the algorithms themselves in order to do this. However this plugin was created just to check out how well Quadriflow works in C4D as it stands now, and to see what the interest is in these kind of tools. 

At the moment it's great for me since I now have a Dynamesh style workflow for sculpting as well as an automated pelting solution for painting. 

As for the eyes... haha, that wasn't planned at all. It was just a quick test using random textures and I decided to keep it in the video clip.

Excellent retopo plugin! when do u expect it to be stable? Also will there be an R20 version?
    cheers

• Topic Author
  • 22 hours ago, thanulee said:

Excellent retopo plugin! when do u expect it to be stable? Also will there be an R20 version?
    cheers

It feels stable to me. I could make a version for R20. Wanted to see what the interest is in this plugin first before working on R20 though since it is not a trivial task to compile for different versions.

wow, it's like a decimater/polygon reduction tool, but 10x better b/c it uses quads. The only issue I'm having is time. It's been 30 minutes and it is still working on a 200k tri object (see attached screenshot). Not sure why it is taking so long, is this normal?

Also, the plugin window does not have all the options as yours in your video above. Mine just shows the percent slider and 2 check-boxes for preserve sharp edges and use min-cost flow. Nothing else. Using R17. Here is what I see so far:

Starting retopo
    Exporting obj
    76191 c:\users\davide\appdata\local\temp\tmp694hup.obj c:\users\davide\appdata\local\temp\tmpklmybd.obj
    Initialize...
    Initialize use time: 76.462000
    Solve Orientation Field...
    Use 87.575000 seconds
    Solve for scale...
    Use 1.148000 seconds
    Solve for position field...
    Use 349.502000 seconds
    Solve index map...

Thanks, great work, hoping to see more development!

screenshot.jpg

I just realized something, does it quadrangulate the ENTIRE SCENE, or just the SELECTED OBJECT, or just the VISIBLE OBJECT. I am so used to to hiding objects that I don't want exported (I use Riptide pro) that I assume all plugins behave in this manner. Can you please clarify, thanks.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:54 PM, kbar said:

It feels stable to me. I could make a version for R20. Wanted to see what the interest is in this plugin first before working on R20 though since it is not a trivial task to compile for different versions.

I will buy one licence if R20 🙂 let me know if thats possible! thanks

• Topic Author
  • On 10/12/2019 at 4:02 AM, DavideBianch said:

I just realized something, does it quadrangulate the ENTIRE SCENE, or just the SELECTED OBJECT, or just the VISIBLE OBJECT. I am so used to to hiding objects that I don't want exported (I use Riptide pro) that I assume all plugins behave in this manner. Can you please clarify, thanks.

I will answer both your questions here.

First question was why does the dialog look different, that’s because your not using my plugin. Instead I think your using the python bridge one created by Ryan Gordon. 

Second question - you will have to ask Ryan 🙂

my plugin only works on R21 for now on both OSX and Windows. It’s native compiled (ie C++ rather than Python). And it works on just the selected object itself and doesn’t need to export or import models, it just updates your currently selected model directly.

• Topic Author
  • On 10/12/2019 at 11:39 AM, thanulee said:

I will buy one licence if R20 🙂 let me know if thats possible! thanks

Just letting you know that I have the plugins compiling natively now for R20 on both OSX and Windows. Should have something ready for release soon.

13 hours ago, kbar said:

Just letting you know that I have the plugins compiling natively now for R20 on both OSX and Windows. Should have something ready for release soon.

Let us know! cheers!