Sign in to follow this  
Hayley Mickleburgh

Push apart effector problem

Hi everyone!

I'm working on a landscape flyover scene in which I have some trees in a multi-instance cloner (distribution set to 'surface', with the surface being a polygon selection of the landscape object). I am looking to get areas of dense forest, but I obviously don't want the trees to intersect, so I am using a push apart effector to position the trees. 

However the push apart effector is not workign as I had hoped. Apart from pushing apart the trees along x and z (along the landscape surface), it is also pushing them up and down along y, meaning that I have some trees up in the air and some pushed into the ground... I don't want to use the push apart mode 'along x' or 'along z', because this doesn't give the distribution of the trees that I am looking for.

Any ideas what is the issue? Is it even possible to do what I am trying to do with the push apart effector?

Thanks!

Hayley

Can you post a reduced scene file? This way it will be easier to offer solutions

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

It should work fine.

A possible problem is if the axis centre is not at the base of the tree - have you checked that? Are you also using a random effector? Are you sure that its not effectng the Y position?

Please take care to post in the correct section, which is not Procedural modelling - this is clearly a Mograph question, so it belongs in the General Mograph Category.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes, I checked all of the tree axes! But I do have a random effector on the trees to (heading rotation)... Could the random effector be affecting the push apart effector along the y?

• Topic Author
  • Oops, sorry, I was not aware that I had posted in modelling!

Here's a simple scene with trees scattered over a landscape (textures not included).

Works for me. Maybe check your parameters are roughly the same. Also check the order of the effectors, as that will effect the result

trees.c4d.zip

I like to use the Hide Mode of Push Apart to avoid overlaps most effectively for denser tree areas. Just checking you've tried that...

CBR