Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Render Failure

Hey guys,

Hoping for some good news. I don't know if anyone is familiar with this.

A couple days ago my Octane started crashing after it had been rendering a relatively basic video scene of about 20 seconds for about 15 hours. Since then everytime i use it it keeps crashing and i have to close C4D, relaunch it, then it works for a couple of minutes before it crashes again. I can render VERY basic scenes, but all in all Octane is not in any way reliable or functioning.

Its giving me this message 

Started logging on 23.09.19 23:55:17

OctaneRender Studio 4.05 (4050000)

CUDA error 700 on device 0: an illegal memory access was encountered
  -> failed to wait for event
device 0: path tracing kernel failed
  -> failed to unregister pinned memory
  -> could not get memory info
  -> failed to unload module
  -> failed to create link
device 0: failed to create OSL compile context:

device 0: failed to compile module 0

I've spoken to the guys at OTOY and with my computer provider (ive had this computer for a little less than 2 months) and awaiting their response, and i thought id ask you if anyone is familiar with this.

This is the thread with OTOY https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=72691

I've updated my Nvidia drivers, my Octane and everything needed and it's still crashing. Im working on an RTX 2070 Mini, and the guys at OTOY are telling me its most probably a hardware problem.

Is anyone familiar with this? Please dont tell me i have to get a new Graphics Card this one hasn't been around for 2 months even😅 !

Appreciate a feedback,

Thanks!

Hmmm. If Otoy support thinks it's a hardware issue I would tend to believe them.

Did the card come with any sort of testing / diagnostic apps you can leave running overnight ?

CBR

I had something similiar yesterday! Though I'm using R21 so I'd probably blame it on unstable Octane...

But! I've been having this issue on a slightly more complex scene. Nothing too fancy though, just some work with Field Forces, Tracers and a Sweep. Lot's of Polygons, nothing else. I even converted the result to a basic polygonal model to make sure it's not the generator that is crashing the software.

There is no predermined point where it crashes, it just sometimes does. While rendering, while changing a material, something like that. And it crashes HARD. No Error Message, no bug feedback request after restart, nothing. The weird part is that C4D does not start anymore unless I reboot the system. Even closing the .exe by hand in the Task Manager yields the same result.

I thought maybe it's my scene but now that you say it... it crashed once then kept crashing all evening until I gave up. Rebooting every 20mins is not feasable.

Let's see what comes of this. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but I suspect the graphic drivers. It only seems to happen when using Octane and ProRender, not just plain C4D. And I've recently updated the driver to the newest game ready version as well

I'll probably try a downgrade this evening and report back.

• Topic Author
  • I've done everything that they suggested i should do and it's still crashing, now apparently i have to get a new Graphics Card. My case is a bit different than yours i think though cause Octane is crashing SUPER quickly even on VERY basic scenes, but C4D continues working normally. 

it's just absurd to me that i have to get a new $600 Graphics Card when I havent even had the computer for 2 months! is this something i should get used to if im regularly working on 3D programs? Do you guys encounter this normally in your everyday life? Aside from 3D, i work only on mac and i dont usually have problems with laptops so it's strange that just like that I have to replace a whole Graphics Card.

@DasFrodoif you post the error log youre getting here we can find out if were having similar problems and if it is the Octane 4.05 not the Graphics Card. I suggest you read thoroughly my conversation with the guy on that board perhaps its helpful to you. He told me to update many things including Nvidia, and even after all i updated the problem was still happening.

Here is the log im getting:

device 0: direct light kernel failed
    -> failed to load symbol data to the device(deep_data)
    device 0: failed to upload the deep params
    -> failed to create link

Did the card come with any sort of testing / diagnostic apps you can leave running overnight ?

I am not sure, not familiar with those. Should i research any specific apps?

Hi,

You can use this for testing your card for stability and temperature https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition, 

or simply start rendering and monitor card temperature with GPU-Z.

Since you have Mini version of card, it's probably version with one fan, those versions are usually poor cooling, where temperatures are higher then regular and custom 2-3 fan versions, so it's possible that your card overheats during heavy rendering.

Always aim to cards with good cooling solutions, preferably those with 3 fans, like Asus Strix versions, or Gigabyte Gaming G1, and similar 3 fan cards.

Also you need good ventilated case, good airflow inside case is important.

Dane

3 minutes ago, danijelk said:

Hi,

You can use this for testing your card for stability and temperature https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition, 

or simply start rendering and monitor card temperature with GPU-Z.

Since you have Mini version of card, it's probably version with one fan, those versions are usually poor cooling, where temperatures are higher then regular and custom 2-3 fan versions, so it's possible that your card overheats during heavy rendering.

Always aim to cards with good cooling solutions, preferably those with 3 fans, like Asus Strix versions, or Gigabyte Gaming G1, and similar 3 fan cards.

Also you need good ventilated case, good airflow inside case is important.

Dane

That is true, but that should not make Octane crash instantly. GPU's don't get that hot that fast.

2 hours ago, AlexisB said:

I've done everything that they suggested i should do and it's still crashing, now apparently i have to get a new Graphics Card. My case is a bit different than yours i think though cause Octane is crashing SUPER quickly even on VERY basic scenes, but C4D continues working normally. 

it's just absurd to me that i have to get a new $600 Graphics Card when I havent even had the computer for 2 months! is this something i should get used to if im regularly working on 3D programs? Do you guys encounter this normally in your everyday life? Aside from 3D, i work only on mac and i dont usually have problems with laptops so it's strange that just like that I have to replace a whole Graphics Card.

@DasFrodoif you post the error log youre getting here we can find out if were having similar problems and if it is the Octane 4.05 not the Graphics Card. I suggest you read thoroughly my conversation with the guy on that board perhaps its helpful to you. He told me to update many things including Nvidia, and even after all i updated the problem was still happening.

Here is the log im getting:

device 0: direct light kernel failed
    -> failed to load symbol data to the device(deep_data)
    device 0: failed to upload the deep params
    -> failed to create link

I am not sure, not familiar with those. Should i research any specific apps?

No, this is not normal. C4D is very stable and I haven't had to many crashes with Octane and other Plug-Ins. In my experience, third-party renderers crash more often than other kinds of plug-ins, but not that much. This is definitely not something related to some general Windows machine instability, it's something else.

I will post my logs as soon as I'm at home, if there are any. As I said, it just hard crashes with Octane AND with ProRender, without any Errors. I cannot imagine it's Octane as I have used that same version on R21 and R20. While using R20 I never had this problem, so the only things that changed is the C4D Release and my GPU Driver that I recently updated.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

EDIT: Also, by "new GPU" he doesn't mean literally a newer GPU. You can just RMA your current one in that case, if nothing else helps. It sucks but hardware breaks, sometimes albeit rarely even very early after buying. If you can, borrow a similiar GPU from a friend and try that out. If that GPU works without crashing chances are you really have a faulty one.

• Topic Author
  • I was capable of rendering this scene using Physical in just less than 10 minutes, 3000 pixels wide. The Physical renderer seems to be working just fine.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.69533ccb77b0e9e353912b487478cf56.jpg

This is the temperature while it was rendering: 33 degrees, Memory used 800 MB, GPU load 3%, CPU Temp: 75 degrees, System Memory used 9 GB.

Does this mean that indeed the GPU is not working? or that it's just NOT recognizing Octane and i need to link them together?

Currently downloading the Unigine thing..

5.gif

Alright so I just tested this out. I downgraded my GPU driver from 436.30 (newest game-ready driver) to 431.86 (newest studio driver). I just spent over an hour working on the same scene that CONSTANTLY crashed yesterday, and at this point I did not have any crashes whatsoever. You might want to try downgrading your driver to THIS ONE here. It's the newest studio driver for your 2070.

Let me know if that helped. I'll let you know if I experience any more crashes, but for now it looks like it's working again. By this point I hade at least three crashes yesterday.

EDIT: Just looked through your OTOY Forum thread. The graphics driver you're showing is way, way too old (419.35). The newest one is 431.86 which is over 6 months newer. For GPU rendering I'd recommend to always keep the driver that is working without any problems and ONLY update the driver if necessary. I use my machine for gaming as well which is why I need to update it more often but I've had tons of problems doing so. Also try to use the studio drivers only. This is a new driver category that NVIDIA provides that are specially tested for artists and render engines. At this point I didn't have any issues with any of those specific drivers, only with game-ready drivers

• Topic Author
  • I downloaded 431.70 yesterday and it didnt work..

For GPU rendering I'd recommend to always keep the driver that is working without any problems and ONLY update the driver if necessary

The thing is i started upgrading everything BECAUSE Octane started going crazy and not the other way round.

Do you have any idea if i should MANUALLY connect the GPU to Octane so that Octane can use it when rendering? if you notice in the above GPU Z info i shared, its only using 3% whereas the CPU has 70 degrees temperature and using 9 GB. I took this GPU Z when rendering using Physical not Octane cause Octane literally isn't rendering anything for more than 10 seconds.

15 minutes ago, AlexisB said:

I downloaded 431.70 yesterday and it didnt work..

The thing is i started upgrading everything BECAUSE Octane started going crazy and not the other way round.

Do you have any idea if i should MANUALLY connect the GPU to Octane so that Octane can use it when rendering? if you notice in the above GPU Z info i shared, its only using 3% whereas the CPU has 70 degrees temperature and using 9 GB. I took this GPU Z when rendering using Physical not Octane cause Octane literally isn't rendering anything for more than 10 seconds.

You can't "connect" your GPU to Octane. Octane takes every available GPU in your system anyways, or at least the primary GPU.

What you can still do is go into your Octane settings and see if the GPU is even recognized correctly, but I doubt it isn't because it IS rendering if I understand you correctly.

suoY1IpAAb.thumb.png.3b0c24f032116d0bddcdbd249234c8b2.png

If that doesn't help, well, maybe the folks over in the OTOY forum have another idea but the next step I would take is uninstalling C4D completely, deleting the entire C4D folder inside your appdata folder, reinstall C4D and reinstall Octane as well. You can also try completely uninstalling your driver and then using a driver cleaner to get rid of the last bit of the driver, then reinstall the one you want to use.

You can also check if all your hardware is seated in the motherboard correctly and clean the RAM and PCI-E slots with some canned air.

And if THAT doesn't help, last resort, reinstall Windows (use the built in factory reset tool in Windows which is basically the same as just wiping your HDD and reinstalling it).

After that, well I guess your card is dead / damaged. After all your PC is only 2 months old so RMA should not be a problem.

• Topic Author
  • Super draining and time consuming all this running with technology, i dont know how 3D artists dont go crazy 😅

Im gonna have someone come over and try out a new GPU on the spot, if it works and everything goes back to normal then i guess mine is damaged and i get a new one. If not, the folks at OTOY really must provide an answer as i dont know how else to move forward with this.

Thanks a lot for the help! Will definitely keep it in check.