Sign in to follow this  
Duca

Problem with cloner (Linear) size

Hallo everybody,

I am trying to animate a WI FI logo simply made in 3d in C4d.
I create the first wave and I tried to animate it with a cloner but the dimension are non proportional.
I attach a simple scene and a scree shoot to show what I mean:

WI FI 1.JPG

WI FI_00.c4d

• Topic Author
  • I'd like simply to maintain the proportional size of the waves, because on the right they are progressively bigger..., in the right side they are distorted...

On the right is different, because your Cloner/Scale parameters are different as in left cloner. (just X is scaled, others not)

How animate? Count of clones? Zero to 3, zero to 3 etc?

They are distorted in the right cloner because that only has a scale value in one of the 3 axes.

25 minutes ago, Duca said:

I'd like simply to maintain the proportional size of the waves, because on the right they are progressively bigger..., in the right side they are distorted...

That doesn't make sense. On the LEFT cloner they are progressively bigger because all the scale axes have the same value.

But I don't think that is what you want either. If we look at the standard WiFi logo, the capsule object gets longer in those upper arcs, but crucially its gets longer ALONG its curve, not in the sort of linear way that non-uniform cloner scaling can address.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, bezo said:

On the right is different, because your Cloner/Scale parameters are different as in left cloner. (just X is scaled, others not)

How animate? Count of clones? Zero to 3, zero to 3 etc?

Yes, the idea is to alternate three waves or maybe use more than three waves emitted from sphere, of course.

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

They are distorted in the right cloner because that only has a scale value in one of the 3 axes.

That doesn't make sense. On the LEFT cloner they are progressively bigger because all the scale axes have the same value.

But I don't think that is what you want either. If we look at the standard WiFi logo, the capsule object gets longer in those upper arcs, but crucially its gets longer ALONG its curve, not in the sort of linear way that non-uniform cloner scaling can address.

CBR

The target is to get the WIFI logo on the left but  NOT to be  progressively bigger. So, how can I change the scale axes to obtain it?

Maybe try cloner in blend mode, use 2 arcs, one small-first second large-last set clones to 3. Put everything under Connect and use it as path for sweep...

16 minutes ago, Duca said:

The target is to get the WIFI logo on the left but  NOT to be  progressively bigger. So, how can I change the scale axes to obtain it?

You can't. You need a different setup altogether  🙂

Something like this...

image.thumb.png.be4b4b72b8f663fd352eb38d74c29717.png

If we look at what needs to change in order to do what you want, it is the following (presuming you are using 2 bend deformers per arc like I am).

• Capsule object properties (not transforms) - height
    • Bend bounding box and position on either side
    • Capsule Height segmentation value (if you want them even)

But I'm still unclear on exactly how you want them animating, so whilst the proportions may now be correct, this still may not be the ideal setup for your plan !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

You can't. You need a different setup altogether  🙂

Something like this...

image.thumb.png.be4b4b72b8f663fd352eb38d74c29717.png

If we look at what needs to change in order to do what you want, it is the following (presuming you are using 2 bend deformers per arc like I am).

• Capsule object properties (not transforms) - height
    • Bend bounding box and position on either side
    • Capsule Height segmentation value (if you want them even)

But I'm still unclear on exactly how you want them animating, so whilst the proportions may now be correct, this still may not be the ideal setup for your plan !

CBR

Great Cerbera, but you didn't use a cloner, if i am right.
    You simply create the three wave (or more if needs) and then, can you animate them like you want, without using a cloner. It's okay, but I thought I could use a cloner to do it ...

9 minutes ago, Duca said:

Great Cerbera, but you didn't use a cloner, if i am right.

Indeed I didn't. 

10 minutes ago, Duca said:

It's okay, but I thought I could use a cloner to do it ...

I think you probably still can, but not in the way you originally envisioned. What @bezo mentioned is certainly one way to go that does use the cloner.

Again, it all depends what you want the animation doing ! 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, bezo said:

Maybe try cloner in blend mode, use 2 arcs, one small-first second large-last set clones to 3. Put everything under Connect and use it as path for sweep...

So, I tried to do what you said but I used only an arc (because I didn't understand what you meant with "one small-first second large-last").
    I got it but is not possible to create an exact extrude mesh with Sweep...

1050319229_WIFI2.thumb.JPG.5aca4ebec07700e580da383f5f33c208.JPG

WI FI_02.c4d

Edited by Duca
    Added explanations

• Topic Author
  • So, the waves are not perfectly aligned to the concentric circles, but it works. The problem comes when you try to extrude the arc spline...: in the image above you can see the the meshes are still distorted...

1453971948_WIFI3.thumb.JPG.c959b4561ec0b9a52a9aee8cf208bea4.JPG

WI FI_03.c4d