Sign in to follow this  
Smicksus

Feather trough tube effect. without hair

Hi peeps,

I'm working on a project were I want a feather like effect. When you put a feather in a small tube and the "hairs" fold in because you pull it trough the tube. Now in my project this wont be any hair but it will consist of geometry. Also it's not a feather but I used that as a way to explain the concept. It will be more like a organism shaped object make out of geometry. 

I tried a test first with a spline and a bend deformer on a cylinder which goes trough a tube. And I wanted the bend deformer only to bend when in goes trough a falloff. But when I change the position of the cylinder the falloff moves with it. (I attached an image of that) 

I hope I explained it well and someone can help me with what the best way is to approach this? Any tips are welcome 🙂
Thanks in advance

edit: I'm using R19 so I don't have fields. I got it kind of working as you can see in the attached .gif image. But when it goes trough the bend deformer I want the spline to stay on the cylinder, not to float away. 

attachment.png

giphy.gif

Can you attach the scene file please? I think I have an idea.

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Can you attach the scene file please? I think I have an idea.

yes ofcourse 🙂

featherTubeConcept.c4d

Unfortunately I don't have any old enough C4D version installed to actually use falloff, but what I came up with SHOULD be doable with classic falloff instead of fields. I'm using a displacer on the spline instead of a bend deformer. I'm blending from 0% - 100% power with a linear field at the top of the "tube". I attached the screenshots, hope thats clear.

I'm not 100% sure that that's what you want 😀 just let me know.

01.thumb.JPG.e11cd21d58e79595bf33af89cf845bee.JPG

02.JPG.6ea8cbe56d39d03aa8f81e7f40c418ef.JPG

03.JPG.2d29eadf527e79a7687a85e06229cd58.JPG

04.JPG.f0676e2cbc37fb02143e4705924552a4.JPG

• Topic Author
  • 33 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Unfortunately I don't have any old enough C4D version installed to actually use falloff, but what I came up with SHOULD be doable with classic falloff instead of fields. I'm using a displacer on the spline instead of a bend deformer. I'm blending from 0% - 100% power with a linear field at the top of the "tube". I attached the screenshots, hope thats clear.

I'm not 100% sure that that's what you want 😀 just let me know.

01.thumb.JPG.e11cd21d58e79595bf33af89cf845bee.JPG

02.JPG.6ea8cbe56d39d03aa8f81e7f40c418ef.JPG

03.JPG.2d29eadf527e79a7687a85e06229cd58.JPG

04.JPG.f0676e2cbc37fb02143e4705924552a4.JPG

Hey Thank you! This kind of works but I don't know how to get the same effect as the bend deformer with a displacer? It's necessary that the spline can fold it self out to a horizontal position with a slight bend were it is attached to the cylinder. (for a more organic look) Do you know how I can achieve this with a displacer? Also I tried the correction deformer, but this doesn't seem to work with splines. 

Thank you very much for your help so far 😄

In theory you should be able to do this by setting the displacer type (in the object tab) to one of the three RGB modes (RGB (XYZ Object), RGB (XYZ Tangent), RGB (XYZ World)). They allow you to "displace" anything in three dimensions instead of just along the vertex normal or comparable. You can read about the funcionality here.

I've never used this before so I can't really help with that, but that might be a lead. Or somebody else comes up with a way better and easier solution.

• Topic Author
  • Just to be clear what I want as a result at the end, and I'm still finding a way to achieve this the best way possible. The image I attach here is about what I have in mind when the object is out of the tube. So when the spiky cylinder goes in the tube it has to fold in. (like a feather would do when you pull it trough a tube) 

example.png

But isn't that exactly what the displacer does? I mean, the first thing that comes in contact with the tube is the base of the "spike" so the entire spike folds in, because theres nothing keeping it from doing so.

EDIT: I'm starting to think this might be best solved with some bones and xpresso. Make the spikes fold in with some bones and trigger the movement via xpresso when they come below a certain point on the y axis.

Here's how I'd do it.... Pose Morph and Morph Deformer with linear falloff.

1079680085_PMMDfeathering.thumb.gif.226a0fe6835146e7d017d0c5f62b136f.gif

Let me know if you need any more detail on that...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

CBR

yes! that's it thank you so much!

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

But isn't that exactly what the displacer does? I mean, the first thing that comes in contact with the tube is the base of the "spike" so the entire spike folds in, because theres nothing keeping it from doing so.

EDIT: I'm starting to think this might be best solved with some bones and xpresso. Make the spikes fold in with some bones and trigger the movement via xpresso when they come below a certain point on the y axis.

hmm yes, I think I was looking for a more controllable way of deforming the objects. I think with the displacer it's fairly hard to get it in the right position right? anyway. I got it to work Thank you so much for all you afford 😄

• Topic Author
  • 19 hours ago, Cerbera said:

CBR

hey CBR, I got it to work (kind of) But I dont have the bending going on that great. For me it seems that the individual spikes are contracting instead of bending as you can see in the image. How did you achieve the bending?

contracting.gif