Sign in to follow this  
ingvarai

Have you tried The Dzhanibekov Effect?

This is really fun. And shows that the dynamics in C4D is precise and accurate.

Here is the video on YouTube that inspired me to test it in C4D:

My project is attached.
255342485_TheDzhanibekovEffect.thumb.jpg.6ec27bc287e54109fc114fc0e6b1619e.jpg
Have fun!
-Ingvar

The Dzhanibekov Effect.c4d

Theoretically in real life it should spin around the axis without flipping if the object that was an odd shape was perfectly symmetrical.  The thing that happens is one side is slightly more massive than the other causing a slight wobble that then creates a second axis of angular velocity, but at a very slow speed.  This causes it to wobble more and more till it wobbles to a flip where it continues to wobble itself to almost not wobbling.  At that point the cycle continues.  This is important to understand as the video tries to make it all complex and mysterious.  It's not.

To more easily see what I'm talking about change the shape under the Dynamics Body Tag > Collision > Shape to Box.  Now press play.  You will see it looses the wobble as it should.  Now add the smallest amount of initial angular velocity in any of the two other axis.  Not a large amount.  I did 1 degree.  We now see, with the shape as a box, the movement is the same as we gave it the wobble it would get in real life from real life not being perfect. 

Going through the shape settings in C4D I found the Automatic set the shape to Convex Hull.  I would guess that the convex hull made was a little off causing the wobble which then causes what we are seeing in the file.

Spooky I just watched the video yesterday !!

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, paulselhi said:

Spooky I just watched the video yesterday !!

He he, we are connected! It is called quantum entanglement, or Spooky action at a distance 😄

https://www.cnet.com/news/einstein-called-it-spooky-action-here-is-an-image-of-it-for-the-first-time/ 

-Ingvar

I am Sikhi..yes we are all connected because there is only the One..The Totality..  There is only EXISTENCE.