Sign in to follow this  
Nora Molnar

Modeling - Cinema 4D then in Maya?

Hey Guys,

I am learning Maya currently, however I started to learn C4D before Maya on my own. I have to tell you, I find C4D easier, the logic behind modeling, while in Maya, polygon modeling is harder for me. (I mean in C4D, you would create a cheese with holes logically with invisible balls, while in Maya, you would build the whole model from one primitive only and manipulating the edges, vertices and faces.)

Is there anyone who uses C4D for modeling, and then Maya for animation, rigging, etc? Would it cause any problem to import a model created in C4D to Maya? I know that it is possible, but later in animation I don't want it to cause any problem.

Exporting models (without rigging) is something 3D applications do very well. I would suggest exporting in .obj format. I find this works very well for me.

1 hour ago, Nora Molnar said:

Is there anyone who uses C4D for modeling, and then Maya for animation, rigging, etc?

No I wouldn't have thought so. Maya has an arguably superior (that is to say technically more capable) modelling toolset than Cinema, although I would grant you it is a lot less intuitive / rewarding to use and look at overall. But being one of the current industry standards, and especially if your main focus is learning it, it would make sense to do modelling there if rigging and animation will be done there also. The polygon modelling tools in both programs are very good, and fairly equally capable. But what you are talking about with your holes in cheese example isn't proper poly modelling - it's using boolean operations, which are a sort of cheat - ie what people have to do when they haven't yet learned to model properly. So booles are certainly not what Cinema is doing INSTEAD of poly modelling. It can do both. Cinema has a lot of decent poly tools, and conversely Boolean operations are also available in Maya, so no reason you can't do that sort of 'modelling' there too, and indeed in every top level DCC app. 

However, it doesn't matter what program you use for the modelling, if you use bad techniques like booles in a character mesh you will end up with a model than is unsuitable for animation anyway, which is, at the end of the day why actual modelling skills remain important - successful animation still relies on decent polygon flow and proper topology, which is something booles (in Cinema, or Maya) cannot provide. My advice would be pick your program, and spend the several years required to learn to competently poly model in it - these are not skippable skills if you want to be character modeller / animator !

CBR.

I use a C4D to Maya modelling pipeline when it involves the mograph. There is MASH in Maya, but its still way easier to manipulate within in C4D.
For instance, creating banisters on a complicated staircase where client is still yet to approve how many banisters fit in the staircase. 

Apart from that, Maya has at least the same or more modelling features with Cinema4D. 

In terms of mesh exchanges, between DCC, I haven't encountered major problems, except may be from Blender to DCC where I cant get around its size conversion. 

• Topic Author
  • Thank you everyone for these useful advices and opinions, really helped a lot and finally I see clearly. 🙂