Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Texturing Cube with Rounded Edges

Hey guys,

Thought i'd ask you before i go crazy!

I'm working on this scene with chocolate packagings, im trying to texture them on one side the logo on the other side the illustrations. In order for the chocolate shape to be realistic it has to have SOME kind of rounded edges.

Here are the problems i'm facing:

1- When i use "Fillet" on the Cube's edges then press C, if i want to select the Recto side of the chocolate and use a texture on it its looking awful, the subdivisions each treating the texture on its own (highlighted in 1)

2- If i use an uneditable cube as it is and put it under "Subdivision Surface" it's not rounding the edges its ruining the whole shape! (Highlighted in 2)

question.thumb.jpg.8337eaf9c9b894ced7ad499469d89c97.jpg

I just want a simple rounded edges Cube that i can texture the illustration on one of its side without it looking messy and the logo on the other side..

How do you suggest i fix this?

Thanks!

Several possible ways to do this.

1. Continue to use Fillet on a Primitive, but use the Correction deformer to define a poly selection that you can use to restrict your material to just one flat face inside the fillets (or including some of them, if needed). In that case make the Correction a child of the Cube, and do Set Selection to make a tag on the deformer. Then move that to the cube, where you can use it as a material mask.

2. Do a Current state to object of the filleted cube, hide the original then UV map the editable cube using Cubic 2 Projection.

3. Same as 2, but instead of using fillet use a Chamfered Bevel, which produces a better result for UVing than a fillet does.

CBR

If logo is in the center of rounded cube you could use flat mapping of textures (alternatively applied on polyselections).

If parametric mapping don´t work as you need, simply create nice UV´s of object and use UV Mapping...

• Topic Author

1. Continue to use Fillet on a Primitive, but use the Correction deformer to define a poly selection that you can use to restrict your material to just one flat face inside the fillets (or including some of them, if needed). In that case make the Correction a child of the Cube, and do Set Selection to make a tag on the deformer. Then move that to the cube, where you can use it as a material mask.

It worked!! thanks a lot!