Sign in to follow this  
hikarubr

C4D EDUCATIONAL LICENSES: WHY SO COSTLY?

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Jops said:

I had the same Situation in a German university. Of course MAXON can charge for their software what they want, but I don't find it smart, to charge the institutions, that teach your software, considering, that more or less every student I had already had worked with Blender before. If they don't get Cinema4d taught they probably just stick with it.

Exactly! Thanks for understanding my point. 

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, bentraje said:

@Jops

I am all for criticism for the better but berating is totally unnecessary. @RBarrett has already made his statement and the immediate reply whines "Guys, you should read the post before answering."? That's a bit disrespectful.

I'm not berating anyone. In my OP I said would like to hear MAXON's reasoning for this because maybe I'm missing something here.

In the case of @RBarrett  post my comment was warranted because  he answered something that wasn't asked.

I wasn't asking for a discount or grant, I was asking about their strategy here, which seems to contradict their own new motto. 

By the way, yesterday the department approved to buy the licenses I asked anyway. 

But I have to say that MAXON's reluctance to engage with educators is troubling. 

11 minutes ago, hikarubr said:

But I have to say that MAXON's reluctance to engage with educators is troubling

The current strategy is designed to encourage educators to engage with us. The advertised cost is for institutions that simply want to purchase, while the grant provides an avenue for us to start a partnership with the instructor and the institution. And as I mentioned in my first post, instructors at many institutions (here in the US anyway) benefit from winning grants, so it becomes a win-win.

Admittedly, our communication of our education programs needs work, and in fact I know it's being worked on right now as we prepare to relaunch the education programs with MyMaxon and R21 support.

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, RBarrett said:

The current strategy is designed to encourage educators to engage with us. The advertised cost is for institutions that simply want to purchase, while the grant provides an avenue for us to start a partnership with the instructor and the institution. And as I mentioned in my first post, instructors at many institutions (here in the US anyway) benefit from winning grants, so it becomes a win-win.

Admittedly, our communication of our education programs needs work, and in fact I know it's being worked on right now as we prepare to relaunch the education programs with MyMaxon and R21 support.

Thanks for this @RBarrett, I appreciate. Now I understand a little bit better the reasoning.

I mean, as you said, there is a lot of work to be done here.

And I'm not sure if this strategy of "playing hard to get" is the best to reach educators but I see there is a logic behind at least. 

I'll take a look at the grant then (I'll have to check if the IT department already ordered the licenses or not) - more than the discount I'm really interested in building a relationship with MAXON as an instructor. 

On 10/2/2019 at 3:59 PM, RBarrett said:

Thanks for the response,

I'm really arguing here in the name of MAXON. 

I find it problematic that a university that wants to try out whether a cinema 4d course makes sense for it has to pay. That's a scare off. I think it would be important for all commercial 3D software producers to reach people before they get used to blender.

But since they're working on it anyway, we'll see 🙂

With the way things are going Blender is going to become the standard in 3D content creation after not too long.  It would probably benefit you students better to learn Blender than C4D.  Why even teach C4D?

1 hour ago, Fastbee said:

With the way things are going Blender is going to become the standard in 3D content creation after not too long.  It would probably benefit you students better to learn Blender than C4D.  Why even teach C4D?

You have a point there.

But as much as I find the project blender facinating and as much as I adore the values behind. The succes is based on free developement work,even though now there are some people that get paid for. I prefer a software the developers can make a living out of, as I want to make a living out of 3D animation. Besides that the field I am teaching in is UX design and in the way we use this software blender is no mach for cinema (even with animation nodes).

Hi All,

Here is the official answer.    We haven't changed anything here yet.  We are hiring and building a team to work on an educational strategy.    The easy bit:

Every student/teacher can get a few version.  It will renew as long as you are a student.   This is a full non limited version.

For schools, they aren't all the same.   We want universities to teach and we want to make sure they teach the latest version.  So we try to engage with them.  Some schools should pay others should not.  Example being a company that makes money teaching software, should pay for the software they are using.  Other universities are private some are public.  It is a tricky balance so we need to make a plan.   As of now we left things the way they have been.

Cheers

Dave

• Topic Author
  • On 10/7/2019 at 7:03 AM, DMcGavran said:

Hi All,

Here is the official answer.    We haven't changed anything here yet.  We are hiring and building a team to work on an educational strategy.    The easy bit:

Every student/teacher can get a few version.  It will renew as long as you are a student.   This is a full non limited version.

For schools, they aren't all the same.   We want universities to teach and we want to make sure they teach the latest version.  So we try to engage with them.  Some schools should pay others should not.  Example being a company that makes money teaching software, should pay for the software they are using.  Other universities are private some are public.  It is a tricky balance so we need to make a plan.   As of now we left things the way they have been.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your answer and sorry about my late reply (I had to grade the midterms on my classes this week so I was super busy). 

I'm happy that you're building a new team to work on the educational strategy. 

Having said that, I'm not sure if your reasoning of "a company that makes money teaching software, should pay for the software they are using" makes much sense. 

I think it would be more interesting for MAXON to become the standard (or one of the standards) in 3D animation and then make money from companies using your software than trying to get money from a few educational institutions. Isn't you new motto "3D for the whole world"? 

With Blender 2.8 on one hand and Maya/3ds Max indie on the other hand, I think the motto is not really being applied by MAXON.

Also, you should check which school you are charging. My school (University of Tampa) is private but it is a non-profit institution (as most good private Universities in the US are). Maybe you should consider not charging non-profits at least.

On my side, we just bought the educational licenses that I asked for and I'll be using Cinema 4D in my intro classes for at least two semesters. 

I think the students will love it but I still fear for MAXON's and C4D's  future with the current strategy. 

I simply don't see how Cinema 4D can compete having half of the features but charging more than anyone else, including educational institutions.